primer

ionized_gw
13 years ago

Is there anything special about Kilz?

Comments (5)

• 4boys2
    13 years ago

As a apposed to nothing at all ?

I prefer Zinzer Bin....Or BM Fresh Start.

Google Kilz vs Zinzer and read the reviews.
    I guess I should have asked what are you painting ?

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, the first project of many is a bedroom with "punched" rock lath that we just removed wall paper from. The attached bath has more modern gypsum board. As we move through the house, we will be painting a similar mixture, mostly rock Lath and a little gypsum. We have about 50% paint and 50% wall paper on the walls and we hope to end up with all paint.

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

The original Kilz (oil based) is a good stain blocking primer, good for using on water stains, smoke damage and we also use it for blocking out cat pee odor on floors under carpet. Kilz2 (latex) is a cheap, low quality general purpose primer that is labelled as 'stain killing' but it doesn't kill any stains. The best thing to use after stripping wallpaper would be Gardz, which is a clear sealer that locks down any residual paste leftover from the stripping process.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Once paste-residue is removed (and that can take a while...) AND rinsed well, forget most of the Kilz group.
    The original Oil is fine, but you'd better have a TON of ventilation and/or a good "solvents" cartridge-filter mask!!

Instead, I'd use BIN or Gardz as PG said. Another good choice is Zinssers' Odorless-Oil primer.

Prime the WHOLE room though...not just where paper came off!

Faron

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, the paste came off the plaster pretty easily. The paper came off in whole sheets and the paste seems to have come off with water leaving a smooth finish. The more-modern gypsum board might not be so good.

I have a thought to share about "odorless" chemical mixtures. Just because you can't smell it does not mean that it is not as bad for you as the stuff with a more detectable smell. Yes, I do have to think about chemical safety issues as part of my job though chemical safety is not my whole job.