Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of paint for front door?

Posted by ctaylors6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 18:34

Hi! I'm going to repaint my front door. It's solid wood and has at least 2 coats of black oil-based paint.

What brand / line of paint should I use? I want a semi-gloss finish, not super high gloss. I'd like to keep the black color. If it makes a difference, the door doesn't get much direct sunlight or rain. I'm in north Texas, so we get lots of heat and humidity in the summers and at least a few weeks of freezing in the winter.

I'm happy to sand, prime, etc. I'm a DIYer but fairly experienced (eg lots of cabinets, some furniture, many rooms). I'm just a little stumped as to what kind of paint since I've never painted any exterior surface like a door (ie higher than normal gloss).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of paint for front door?

Do you have an idea of how well the previous paint held up ?
If good, use the same.
Exterior paint opens up a whole new world..Blistering,peeling,cracking,falling off, I've given up in this area.

o

I called my painting store (they are very knowledgeable). Here's what they said:

You can use an oil base primer and then latex paint on top

OR

Oil based paint straight on top of current paint

They suggested an EXTERIOR paint for the door. The door does get hot and cold, etc. Just get a quart made up at Benjamin Moore. How about "Texas Leather" instead of black? It's a gorgeous dark, rich, velvety dark brown. Check it out on their personal color viewer online.

o

Thank you both so much!!
The previous paint has held up pretty well. The door was painted about 7 years ago by professional painters. I know they used Sherwin Williams for the siding so I would guess they used SW for the door too. I'll go by there and see if I can get similar paint.

I'd LOVE to change the color but we just had shutters in the front painted black. My DH had said he wanted a new door, so I told the painters to skip the door. Then after all the painters left, DH decided he didn't want a new door. So I'm painting it. :) That color would look great with the brick on the house, so I'll save the idea for next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here