Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f1668065

Painting exterior 2 story stucco house

f1668065
10 years ago

I have a 2800 sq foot 2 story stucco house that I want to paint the exterior one color with white trim. I already have primer and want to spray & back roll one coat of paint, then perhaps just spray a 2nd coat. I have one 28' extension ladder and one 6' step ladder.

How do I determine how many gallons of paint I need for the main color and the trim?
How would you deal with the high spots over koi pond?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    10 years ago

I saw your post before, and didn't respond because I don't have the answers, but I see you've re-posted it, so I am going to TRY to help you figure this out.

Using google, I've found a few paint estimating guidelines:

- To determine how much paint your house needs, measure the house's perimeter. Then multiply that figure by the height, excluding gable ends. If you will use a different paint on your home's trim, subtract 21 square feet for every door and 15 square feet for each typical window. Divide the final figure by the square-foot coverage specified on the can of paint to determine the number of gallons you will need for one coat on smooth primed surfaces.

- The size of the house, the condition of the surfaces, texture of the surfaces, the type of paint you select, and the method of application are all factors that will determine the amount of paint you need to buy.

- Shingles or shakes, masonry, or stucco exterior walls can take 50 percent more paint than smooth, flat walls.

- You will get less coverage per gallon on the stucco parts, which generally require twice to three times more paint.

- 1 gallon brushed on will require 2-3 gallons if sprayed on.

- Sprayers, which apply the equivalent of two coats of paint at one time, require twice as much paint as brushes or rollers for the same surface dimensions.

- Wind effects how much paint is used when spraying, paint on a low or no wind day.

- One gallon of most exterior acrylic latex paints brushed or rolled on a clean, painted, or primed smooth surface is estimated to cover about 100-300 square feet (read the can, all paints vary on this number).

http://www.glidden.com/calculators/paint-calculator.do

As for the koi pond, you're probably just going to have to put the ladder in the pond. Hope it's not too slippery on the bottom. Make sure you pad the ladder feet so it doesn't tear the pond liner, or set it on a couple of big flat rocks or pavers and back the bottom all the way up to the footbridge, so it can't slide on you. You're just going to have to duck under the railing or go over it.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, That's very helpful info on paint estimating guidelines!

I'll be looking for another alternative to putting the ladder in the pond or on the bridge...But, thanks! ;)