Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rizzy_gw

chalkboard paint

rizzy
12 years ago

Anyone have experience with chalkboard paint? Pros and cons? I am wanting to do it in our playroom. I am currently thinking a full wall of it (or a smaller area with molding around it).

Comments (6)

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

It works okay, but not as good as a real chalkboard.

• pattyann_flowergirl
    12 years ago

I have read many design blogs that wrote about using chalkboard paint....it is a very popular idea, even in kitchens. Google it and see what you come up with as far as bloggers who blogged about it. I think it is very attractive and your kids would love it.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

I strongly recommend it to any family. Having a chalkboard in the house at the center of everything was the best communicator, teacher, rendevous station, human expression station.
    I painted a pc. of 3/4" plywood and screwed it to the wall, filler over the screws, than painted green chalkboard over everything. my brother made us a 2 groove tray out of Redwood.
    It was great to see the adults reaction to having it as it was the kids. Good luck!

• rizzy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I've googled it and seems like more people Love it then hate it. I was going to do a full wall but now I'm thinking a good size section of the wall and put some molding around it to make it "pretty".

• andrelaplume2
    11 years ago

dry erase board...can get 4 x 8 sheet at home depot...

• Carly_C
    11 years ago

I agree - chalkboard paint is awesome. I have an entire wall of it in our study. And we don't even have kids! We use it for work to "chalk out" our to-do list and such.

The wall basically looks black and is a very dramatic accent wall.

Do keep in mind that the chalking will produce a lot of chalk dust (or maybe I have the wrong type of chalks?). For us, the dust falls to the floor and I sweep it off the hard wood floors. I like Jumpilotmdm's idea for a tray.

Lastly, you can custom color the chalkboard paint. Check out this from Martha Stewart (of course!)

http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-chalkboard-paint