Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chalkboard paint

Posted by rizzy (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 17:11

Anyone have experience with chalkboard paint? Pros and cons? I am wanting to do it in our playroom. I am currently thinking a full wall of it (or a smaller area with molding around it).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chalkboard paint

It works okay, but not as good as a real chalkboard.

o

I have read many design blogs that wrote about using chalkboard paint....it is a very popular idea, even in kitchens. Google it and see what you come up with as far as bloggers who blogged about it. I think it is very attractive and your kids would love it.

o

I strongly recommend it to any family. Having a chalkboard in the house at the center of everything was the best communicator, teacher, rendevous station, human expression station.
I painted a pc. of 3/4" plywood and screwed it to the wall, filler over the screws, than painted green chalkboard over everything. my brother made us a 2 groove tray out of Redwood.
It was great to see the adults reaction to having it as it was the kids. Good luck!

o

Thanks! I've googled it and seems like more people Love it then hate it. I was going to do a full wall but now I'm thinking a good size section of the wall and put some molding around it to make it "pretty".

o

dry erase board...can get 4 x 8 sheet at home depot...

o

I agree - chalkboard paint is awesome. I have an entire wall of it in our study. And we don't even have kids! We use it for work to "chalk out" our to-do list and such.

The wall basically looks black and is a very dramatic accent wall.

Do keep in mind that the chalking will produce a lot of chalk dust (or maybe I have the wrong type of chalks?). For us, the dust falls to the floor and I sweep it off the hard wood floors. I like Jumpilotmdm's idea for a tray.

Lastly, you can custom color the chalkboard paint. Check out this from Martha Stewart (of course!)

http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-chalkboard-paint

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here