Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Applying Drywall Compound - Pinholes

Vertise
11 years ago

Does anyone know how to avoid getting pinholes when applying mud?

Comments (4)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Not a paint expert and certainly not a drywall expert, but from what I have read, the pinholes happen as a result of poorly mixed drywall mud, and/or applying a thick layer of mud, and/or running the drywall knife over the mud too fast. The fix is to lightly skim coat the pinhole area.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I think I'm going to put on the first coat of paint and then fill any remaining areas with a light skim that I can wipe the excess off. Every time I try to fix little imperfections, it ends up with too much resanding that can cause other problems with what was already nice and smooth.

I'm using the green top premixed right out of the container. I'm not sure if I do too thick or not but maybe not slow enough. I'll try working the mud on a palette first with the knife before applying. I think I've seen the pros do that ; ) Maybe the air is in there already and that's how they get it out before hitting the wall. So, mixing it up a bit first. This closet I must move on from!

P.S. Looks like I asked this before. I am finding them where the drywall man installed also. Looks like this is the easiest way to go.

"Pinholes in mud never fill with paint. Use spackle after priming, then spot prime, let dry fully, and paint.
    Casey"

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 8:50

• graywings123
    11 years ago

That's funny, I am mudding a closet as well. That's how I came to research the issue with pinholes.

Drywall mudding is certainly an art form. I watch the videos on YouTube and read about angling your mudding knife, but the technique escapes me. I keep telling myself that it is only a closet and no one will see it, but I still wish I could get the hang of it.

• caseykees
    11 years ago

I wish i could do this. Our walls are a mess after 40 years, and a PO who did completely crappy painting and me who probably isn't much better. If I could afford to have someone else paint, I would. But there is no way. Some imperfections I have to learn to live with I guess.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths