Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

HELP - painting concrete breezeway floor

mommabird
11 years ago

Hello, please give adice. I have an enclosed breezeway between my house and garage. The floor was painted when the house was built, then in the 70's someone glued indoor/outdoor carpet down. I just removed the carpet and used adhesive remover to scrape the glue off (THAT WAS AWFUL). The result is a kind of swirled look, with some paint, some spots down to the concrete.

I now want to paint the floor with porch paint. What else have to do to prep the floor so that the paint will ahere and last?

THANKS!

Comment (1)

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Hi mommabird -- there are many experts on this forum and I used them last year for a similar project. Many will recommend etching which involves a very toxic application which I wasn't willing to do. If you have a small area, it may be feasible -- this apparently gets you down to the raw, raw concrete and prepares it for anything topical (porch paint, stain, marine paint, etc.).

What I did ... was similar to you ... scrubbed, scraped and cleaned with a degreaser (using brushes in a swirling motion and lots of pressure). I used a Sherwin Williams Marine Paint (two coats) and it adhered just fine. That was a year ago and it is holding up great. Here is an after photo.