Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint experts? Can I lighten a color myself?

Posted by FroofyCat (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 15:29

I have a gallon of Benjamin Moore Ylang-Ylang. It's a soft yellow. If I want to use up the gallon but not paint another room the same color, do you think I'd have success cutting it with white? Like 60/40? 50/50? I'd love to get to like a Linen White -- save on paint and not let the gallon go to waste.

Worth a try? or mistake? Do paint stores do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint experts? Can I lighten a color myself?

Yes you can, however getting it light enough may be a higher ratio and be less expensive to go and buy the colour you want. You would be surprised how much white it would take to lighten an existing light colour and you might not get what you want.

Dear wife thought she was saving the environment by lightening 1gallon of a pale blue, she added 2 gallons before she saw a difference. Now I have 2 gallons of light blue, anyone need it?

o

ok, thanks! I didn't think of that. I certainly don't need two gallons or more of it.

o

To get to a "Linen White" you would add maybe a pint of the yellow to a gallon of white.

If you want to experiment, add the stronger color to the weaker color ... I make a small batch of 1/2 cup (4 tablespoons) of the white or lighter color and add 1 tablespoon at a time of the stronger color and test it.

If it only takes 1T to get the color I want, I know I need to add 1quart strong per gallon of white. 2T would be 2 quarts, 4T would be a 50:50 mix.

If 1T is too strong a color, I add another half-cup of the white and then my recipe becomes 1 pint of strong color for each tablespoon I used in the tester.

It's nice for ceilings to use a paler shade of the walls.

o

thanks for the mixing advice! I may actually try it to get rid of less than half empty cans of paint...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here