Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Tint Primer

Posted by cosiegirl (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 15:12

We've done a fair amount of painting but it only recently occurred to us to actually tint the primer. But I'm not sure how that is done?

If we purchase Bullseye 123 from HD, what do I ask for as far as tint? I actually haven't chosen my paint color yet but it will be a medium beige likely from Ben Moore. Do I color match the primer to the paint color or does tinting primer done a few shades lighter??

The last thing I want to do is get advice from an employee at HD so I want to understand - thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Tint Primer

Take it to the Bem Moore store and tell them what you are doing, They will tint it for you.

o

Take HD the paint chip and have them tint the primer to about 50% of the final color.

o

I believe Bullseye has a limit of 2oz of tint. Even a HD employee should know this or be able to read it on the can. For most colors the 50% of the full formula works. Dark colors are another matter.

o

Even a HD employee should know this or be able to read it on the can.

I would not bet on it.

o

Thanks everyone!

o

I hate to break up some common misconceptions here...!

Tinting a primer isn't needed for 75% of the colors out there!

Most people tend to fall into the trap of thinking..."Well, if I tint my primer, it'll save me a topcoat"!
OR..."I can push my paint farther, because my primer matches the topcoat"!

Uhhhh...No.

If you perceive the need to tint primer under a Beige (or ANY medium color), you may be painting TOO THIN.
Light & medium tint-bases are opaque enough if not pushed too thinly. If you're applying paint at proper rates, there's no reason in the world to tint a primer.

Under some Deep, Vivid, & Neutral-base colors...YES, tinted primer will help. As Jessicaml states, regular 123 has a 2oz./gal. tint-limit. There are deep-tint primers available if you need to do a percentage of an actual color.

>>> If you're not pushing a properly loaded roller past 2'x3' (3'x3' MAX), you're getting paint on properly, and won't need tinted primer.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here