Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting my kitchen - need some advice

Posted by raspycat (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 15:11

Hi,
I'm planning on painting my kitchen.

The walls have a sprayed on sand-like texture that is very, very rough. If you brush up against the wall, it can take your skin off! The current paint is a latex semi-gloss (don't remember the brand, but it was probably pretty cheap because we were painting the whole house at the time and didn't have much money or know anything about paint).

I'm planning on painting with Muralo Ultra eggshell in a light green color (current color is white). Here are my questions:
1) What should I clean the walls with? I was going to use Dirtex (I wouldn't have to rinse, right?), but the guy at the paint store said I should use TSP because it will etch the semi-gloss better.
2) Should I sand? Sanding would probably just knock off some of the texture, I was thinking.
3) Do I need to prime? If so what product should I use?

Thanks!
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting my kitchen - need some advice

Just as a PS,
I have some leftover Muralo paint in a lighter color that is just sitting around (I overestimated a previous paint job). I don't have any plans for this paint. Can I use it as a primer?

o
RE: Painting my kitchen - need some advice

Hi Raspy!

In THIS case (which you described very well!), I WOULD sand the walls with a pole-sander and 100-grit drywall screen.

YES...You'll have a sandy mess!
The end result?
* A much smoother wall for your skin...AND resale!
* If you have a palm-sander of some type, it would make the sanding a little more palatable.
* Higher areas would necessitate the pole-sander approach.
* Wipe down walls thoroughly to eliminate dust, let dry, and prime. You could use a weak solution of Dirtex for this.

YES..this IS a pain, but when you're done smoothing things, you'll be glad you did!

Primer?:
Any decent primer like Zinssers'123, ACE's Stain-Halt, or C2-One.
Don't use a weak "Drywall/PVA"-class primer for this project. There's much better choices!

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here