Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repainting a bathroom i constant use

Posted by sofaspud (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 14:56

Hi, folks. I have a full bath in use by young adults who like to take long showers, and it had some peeling paint a while back. So, I scraped and filled with a filler that supposedly dried to a hard surface with no outgassing. After waiting 2 weeks for that to dry thoroughly, I then repainted during a window when the bath wasn't going to be used for a week, using BM K&B paint. Now, the peeling has returned. How do I get rid of this eyesore permanently? Repeat the process but tell them they can't shut the door for 6 months while they shower? (There is an exhaust fan, and even though it is a good Panasonic with plenty of capacity, it can't keep up with an ultra-hot, long shower.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repainting a bathroom i constant use

If the areas you have patched are the areas that are peeling again, then that is because you applied the patching compound to a surface that wasn't ready. Whenever we have mass peeling in bathrooms like this with high moisture, you want to scape everything loose and then sand those areas that you have scraped and then prime. Apply the primer before patching anything. The idea here is apply the patching compound on top of the primer. It's going to stick best to that. After patching, prime everything again and then apply topcoats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here