Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa2_gw

Painting a Faux Wood Front Door

theresa2
10 years ago

I have a 90 year old solid wood front door which I repaired by stripping and filling splinter cracks with epoxy, then painted it with SW Emerald satin. While the door looks in good repair now, I miss the stained wood look and want to replicate that now. Just so you know, there is an awning over the door, as well as a storm door, so the door has good protection from the elements.

I'm hoping to do a faux wood door look with paint and stain. I think I want a medium dark color door--not too light or too dark and I want to use a wood graining tool. It's a tudor style door with long vertical panels and small v-groves. I've watched several videos online for the technique of using a wood graining tool and I think I have the skills to do a good job with a little practice.

Questions: What paint/stain should I use for this project. Are there any recommendations on what graining tools are best? Can you recommend a base coat paint--brand, sheen and color? Stain--brand, type and color? What kind of top coat would be best to protect my finished project?

Comments (2)