Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pittsburgh Paint Question

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 14:45

A contractor I am seriously considering hiring a contractor to paint the exterior of my house. He stated that he uses Pittsburg Speedhide Latex Exterior 100% Acrylic 6-2110 satin finish.

I had never heard of this paint. Is it a good paint? I don't want to have the house painted and then in a couple of years have to have it painted again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pittsburgh Paint Question

Every brand of paint has upper end lines and lower end (contractor grade) lines. I have no personal experience with Pittsburgh Paints, so I'm hoping one of the pro painters will chime in...however, there was a recent thread on the decorating forum in which Funcolors recommended the Pittsburgh Paint "Manor Hall" line. Speedhide sounds to me like a contractor line, but in the product line up, it appears that it may be middle-of-the-road?

Thread where FunC recommends Manor Hall

Here is a link that might be useful: Pittsburgh Paint Exterior Products

o

Forget the Speed hide and go with the Manor Hall

o

That your painter chooses to use their lower tier (4th from best, second to worst) product on exterior is a red flag. 80+% of your cost is labor - his choice and yours will mean you need to pay someone else to do it again twice as fast compared to using Manor Hall Timeless (their best). Some painters will resort to using lower quality products only if they have been beaten down on price - others will refuse and walk away from the job before they settle for anything less. You need to decide which applies in your case.

o

Thank you so very much, christophern and paintguy. After looking at the Pittsburgh Paint Website, I thought the Speedhide was a very low end paint. I will not be having that line put on my house.

o

Contacted the contractor and he said that he could use any paint.

Do you think Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburg paint is the better paint.

o

BM Aura

o

Same is true for all those other brands too. Each company has several lines and therefore quality grades. Ask the painter for some guidance and don't restrict yourself too much. If the painter won't help you decide, find another painter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here