Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steppingstonemomma

Please HELP! Need Kit. Cabinet Clarification!

steppingstonemomma
15 years ago

Hi all, I've been reading and searching for information on this site for painting my kitchen cabinets and I just want to have one of you EXPERTS help me finalize my decisions! But I have some ???'s in the process.

1. Are ACE Cabinet coat and BM Impervo of the same quality or is one better than the other?

2. I'm confused- are these two paints oil based or latex?

3. I want to use a good primer (due to 30+ years of grease and yucky stuff building up) but what is a good one?

4. I'm mostly worried that the paint will chip and scratch with my 4 kids. Should I put some kind of clear polycrilic over it? Or is that overkill (though I'm willing to put the time in if it will really help durability).

5. Are Purdy brushes the same quality as Corona? And, if using one of the above paints, which one should I use? (I just have flat panels with trim around the edges of the doors.)

In summary, let me see if I get this right..

1- clean with TSP substitute

2- sand with 100 grit sandpaper

3-wipe down with mineral spirits

4-prime (with what primer?) with sponge roller and brush

5-sand with 400 grit

6-paint (with either Ace CC or BM Impervo)with sponge roller on frames and good brush (corona or purdy) on doors

Am I missing anything or messed up anywhere? I've never done this before and have hardly painted at all! So, your advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (2)