Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumnerfan

Is there a way to save this paint?

sumnerfan
12 years ago

I bought a gallon of Valspar Signature paint in Portico which I thought would be a pale blue/green. I brought it home and it has a distinctly minty hue which is NOT what I was looking for. I would like to try to have this paint adjusted to tone down the mint. Is this possible, and if so what should I ask them to add?

TIA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portico cyberchip

Comments (5)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Go back to Lowes and find a paint chip that you like and see if they can get it to that color. In other words, don't tell them what to add, show them the color you want to get to and let them figure out the tinting.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

A gold star for graywings!! No need to tell a color pro how to do their job. Just keep your fingers crossed you get someone who really is a color pro behind the counter. If anything, might want to start out saying "I have a bit of a color challenge that I need some help with." That gives him/her a chance to tell you if they can help you or if they need to get someone else -- there's often one or two people on staff who everyone recognizes as being really good at mixing color.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Go back to Lowes and find a paint chip that you like and see if they can get it to that color. In other words, don't tell them what to add, show them the color you want to get to and let them figure out the tinting.

Good luck with that!

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm.....

This may or may not be possible.
    A drop of Red/Orange or Red-Oxide will decrease a Green hue...BUT...this can only be done once.

How long has the color dried in your space?

Converting a color rarely works. In lighter bases, you're fighting a lot of White...AND...the formula that's been added already.

Sorry!
    Faron

• andrelaplume2
    12 years ago

my experience is that many times, if polite and truthfull, once you pick the color you want they will just remix a new gallon, swap it out and sell the old as a mismatch for $5.

Further, I have bought some of those mismatches and they even adjusted it for me for free. It works great if you are not too picky about a color and know you won't ever need more than a gallon.

Ex: had a $5 mismatch of lt brown stain made a little darker for use on the kids swingset that needed to be restained after a few years.