Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Full Spectrum Considerations

Vertise
11 years ago

Reading on Ellen Kennon's site, she says to use their primer or the full spectrum can get deadened.

If you've got two coats of paint, how is it managing to affect the top coat? I wasn't planning on priming my white walls with anything but Peel Stop or Gardz (both clear). Some new wallboard is a medium (kind of dark) blue. Jack Pauhl recommends Gardz because it soaks in and works better!

I'm also wondering about trim and doors. I'm guessing FS is best there too but the whites are limited. I don't want a bright white. I want to use BM Crisp Linen (full spectrum) but not in that fast drying Aura it comes in! Do the other bases kill the full spectrum in your experience (say, Advance or waterborne Impervo) by including black?

Comments (3)

• geoffrey_b
    11 years ago

To me it sounds like mumbo-jumbo.

Nor would I pay $68 a gallon for that paint she sells online.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Using a full spectrum primer is safe, cautionary advice because some people still believe they only need to paint one coat. Which is not a good plan. Because no matter how good you think you are at the painting thing, there's no way to guarantee there will be no holidays or missed spots. IMHO, an FS primer under a FS color is a preventative measure to a half-assed paint job.

The device I use for painting color samples is a decal and it is a neutral gray. I also use a lot of full spectrum colors. I can tell you that two coats of full spectrum over the gray base color of the decals works perfectly fine - the gray under color has not 'interrupted' the effect of any of the full spectrum color samples I've painted thus far.

As far as bases are concerned, the totally neutral base doesn't matter, has no relevance to the resulting full spectrum color. With that said, the better quality base, the better quality whiteness due to the higher volume of TiO2. It's a matter of opinion how much a higher quality whiteness contributes to final full spectrum color.

Higher TiO2 loads are critical for hiding abilities. TiO2 is an expensive ingredient and contributes to the overall cost of a can of paint. It's one of the reasons why expensive paint is expensive and also why it performs better hiding/covering.

Adding colorant dilutes (for lack of a better word) the base. With full spectrum, you're talking about more colorant in the can than average. So, you can see how/why it's important to start out with a good, quality can of base for your full spectrum color.

You can mix full spectrum in any can of base - cheap or expensive. I wouldn't say a can of base of any quality 'kills' the FS quality. Although I don't know why you'd want to waste time, effort and colorant mixing full spectrum in a cheap can of base that is (possibly) short on whiteness and hiding ability to begin with.

Conceptually, you can mix full spectrum using Play Doh. Mixing color full spectrum is a simple, ages-old method of creating nuanced secondary, tertiary and quaternary colors. You mix in color chords (crossing complements) without using black or gray.

As far as using regularly mixed color with FS color, I think it's a great option. Color is about context and contrasts. FS walls with regular trim is just another way to manipulate context and leverage the contrast of regular color against full spectrum.

This post was edited by funcolors on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 18:06

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"As far as using regularly mixed color with FS color, I think it's a great option. Color is about context and contrasts. FS walls with regular trim is just another way to manipulate context and leverage the contrast of regular color against full spectrum."

Thank you for noting this! It had actually occurred to me the other day, but I forgot! lol I was also thinking about all those beautiful old world walls, failing faded paint and plaster. So beautiful but not full spectrum! I can still love them, lol. The contrasts are a good thing.

I did find in the pile, today, she does have a good equivalent to the BM Crisp Linen. Snow. But I will not worry about ruining the effect now and will think of it as contrast.

That is interesting on the bases. I am investing in good paint, so do not plan on any cheap trim paint. Advance or wb Impervo might be my choice. So I could have them mix their own Crisp Linen in it then. Much easier than driving out of state!

I am just so mesmerized with the Crisp Linen that I tried recently. It's a low light room and the walls are just alive, not dead in the shadows. I find it to be a beautifully soft creamy white and thank my lucky stars I found something that works so well!

Two coats, so I will not worry about a different primer!

Thanks!!