Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which exterior paint is best? BM or SW

Posted by jamie81 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 14:08

We will soon be painting our new siding, it is LP Smartsiding. We are having a hard time deciding which brand of paint to go with. I have never used BM, but I have used SW interior paints a couple times. I used Duration and discovered their "satin" is closer to semi-gloss and shows every imperfection. I also was disappointed with their cashmere. Goes on great, and looks fine. I was just not aware that wiping it off (a year later) will take the paint off the wall. Not impressed.

Yet everything I have read, says they are both good paints. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which exterior paint is best? BM or SW

As with most online discussions of brands, Jaimie, I don't think you're going to get a satisfactory answer here. Both are solid brands, and both have good, better, best lines of paint, so any comparisons need to be between comparable grades of paint.

I've heard Sherwin Williams has good sales, so that might be a factor for you to consider. Or try Benjamin Moore since you haven't yet. My advice in this situation is to go with the store that has the better service or location. You don't want to run out of paint and have to drive 2 hours to get more (I've done a lot of reluctant color matches for people who didn't plan ahead and ran out of the brand they started with).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here