Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jnh004_gw

Is this quote for painting reasonable?

jnh004
12 years ago

We purchased a new home, its beautiful, the wall choice - not so much. We asked our realtor for a painter and she told us a man she highly recommends. I did a walk through with him to show him what we wanted painted. And the estimate came back at $3657.50 Is that reasonable?? He will paint the Living room walls and trim, foyer walls and trim, dining room - remove wallpaper & paint walls and trim, Den -remove wallpaper & paint walls and trim, & hall bath - remove wallpaper paint walls and trim. He will also seal the walls with primer and patch nail holes. This includes labor and supplies. The chair rail that you see in pictures is being removed by our contractor so the estimate does not include painting all of that because it won't be there.

This is just much much more than I expected, but I don't know what I expected. So I am hoping someone can help me decide if this is reasonable or not. We are located in GA.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

You can never know all the details that go into a quote unless you're onsite with a calculator.

With that said. . .

If the scope of work you listed out is accurate, he should be quoting approximately twice that amount - maybe more. $3,400 is ridiculously cheap and I don't know how the man is making a living quoting like that.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Yeah....
    with all the insurances, labor, and supplies...this does seem pretty cheap!!!

Taking down wallpaper, and all the other work...Uffda!

That's a lot of work/time for only $3,700. I wouldn't touch it for less than $5K.
    You'll also have to find out how many coats are in the contract, what exact paint line, sheens, etc.

Faron

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

It doesn't really sound high to me, but you only provided one picture so who can tell what those other rooms look like. If it's a 60 hour job @ $50/hr = $3,000 and $700 for material, it sounds about right. It's true that it is very hard to estimate a paint job without actually walking it, but some painters are charging $25 per hour too so the range in prices is going to be vast no matter what.

• jnh004
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your input. When we bought our first house it was new construction so the builder changed room color for $250 a room. So I didn't expect it to be a lot more than that, but taking you all help me put it in perspective.

@paintguy - I didn't realize I only included one picture I meant to attach the album with all of the pictures that are going to be painted and wallpaper removed. Thank you all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Rooms to be Painted

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Without seeing the pictures it seemed like a lot of work. Strip wallpaper, paint trim, plus typical wall color. It's like $3,700 would be a good price for the straight-up painting but considering the trim and wallpaper it seems crazy cheap to me. Unless - maybe - he knows something about how that paper is gonna come off and what it's gonna leave behind.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living