Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyann_flowergirl

Exterior Paint Mistake

I feel so stupid because I tested paint colors on my house and still chose a color that when it ended up on my house....it was not what I expected. An expensive mistake. I don't hate it, but it is much darker than I wanted and a different shade, as I wanted more blue in it. We cannot afford to repaint. My question is...we have a detached garage that we have not painted yet. When we do paint, would it look horrible if we do not paint it the same as the house (since I don't care for this color)?

What should we paint the garage? someone suggested to me a neutral such as a light brown. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. Should I keep my front door stained, or paint it? And if you think paint...what color?

Here is a link that might be useful: my house

Comments (10)

• lucillle
    12 years ago

I think your house is gorgeous, the color is gorgeous, and I love the door.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

I agree with lucille. You did a good job. Stain the door as long as there is no sun on it. Paint it if there is. How about a nice rich brown?
    Try Old Village paint colors. They might have something nice for your door.
    The garage? Either the same color or purposely different and contrasting/neutral.

• chas045
    12 years ago

I have a y chromosome so I probably shouldn't be giving color advise, But I think it is an appropriate color. I could imagine the color being lighter too. When I reread and realized you wanted a darker blue, I think you would have been unhappy.

I think the door should be painted another color. The same goes for the decorative bench.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I like the color of your house - it suits the wooded area.

If you don't want the garage the same color, paint it white. I also think a nice crisp white on the door would look great against the rustic tone of the paint.

• pattyann_flowergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone....I actually feel better now. Tuesday: our garage doors are white, so I am thinking white on the body would be too stark. I decided not to paint the trim white because I thought it was too stark against the dark green, although I did paint the porch ceilings white for some contrast. I painted the back door black, which looks good, but am thinking I may stay with a stained front door.
    Jumpilotmdm: who makes Old Village paints? never heard of that.
    I very much appreciate everyone's comments.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

If you made a mistake with your house color then so did I because I have a very similar color on my house. My trim is more of a cream color. I painted my front door a terra catta color that was in some of the bricks of my fireplace which is nearby. When we switched from the basic boring neighborhood tan/ taupe it was quite a change but total strangers going by stopped to say how much they liked the color and how much better it looked. Now 4 years later, we put fiber cement siding on the house had the factory paint the boards the same color because we still like it so much.

• tadhg555
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone re: your color choice. I think it looks terrific - very striking but appropriate to the style of the house.

Have you explored the idea of painting the roof fascia, porch columns (and maybe even that wooden bench) some complimentary color to that blue/green? I'm sure GW folks would have some good advice on a suitable shade. It might add a bit of visual interest. Not at all necessary, but maybe something to think about.

• pattyann_flowergirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually I would never have painted that bench the same color! My painter was being nice and thought he was doing me a favor.... I actually moved it off the porch...it is too "country". Thanks tadhg555....any ideas on a complimentary color are appreciated. My windows are white vinyl, so they do provide some contrast.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

I may have to research that for you. They were near Phila, PA at one time. Their colors were from Old Sturbridge Village in Mass., so maybe you could google that and see if there is anything on the colors. Williamsburg has a collection also.

more to come....

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Google old village paints. I wish I could send you the link. Their Oil base color card is what I would be looking at sending you.
    The oil will be slow drying but properly applied should last pretty well.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!