Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brush or spray paint fence?

Posted by maymester (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 13:41

We have a debate going on here. Our 20 ft. white fence (kind of looks like thick lattice but are squares rather than diagonals) needs to be restained.DH says to do it right it should be with a brush. I say staining it with a sprayer would be faster and so much easier( thinking about the insides of all those squares!). He is concerned about the overspray on our bushes. What would you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brush or spray paint fence?

Check your can of stain. Some say even when spraying to work the stain in with a brush. I've always wondered what else gets stained when people spray a fence.

o

I really think it depends on the type of wood. More porouse wood really needs to be brushed and rolled so that the material penetrates properly. This helps the coating last longer. But, if the wood is previously painted and not that porous, spraying would be fine. There are always ways to cover up items that you don't want to get overspray on.

o

Can't say I'm an expert, but I compromised and did both. I sprayed the stain on and brushed it in, sometimes with the gun in one hand and the brush in the other; sometimes one hand on the bushes and gun in the other; sometimes completely separate. My fence had gaps so I was spraying close to keep through spraying to a minimum. It worked well and pretty fast. A big heavy brush got into all those corners quickly and well.

o

Thanks all, looks like we'll be brushing the fence - TOGETHER!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here