Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Painting in progress - might need to change sheen

Posted by sweetbabyjames5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 13:26

Hey paint experts - we finally decided on SW Duration in satin for our wood siding. The first coat went on yesterday and boy is it much shinier than we imagined. The imperfections in our siding are pretty obvious. We are have two options:

1. Have the painters finish the project with the satin paint since it's already purchased
2. Buy new paint in flat so there isn't a glare and our imperfections don't stand out as much.

I can live with the shine of the satin *if* it will lessen over time. A couple of my friends used a satin on their brick exteriors and their paint really does look flat now. But, will that happen with wood siding???

All of my research, including the question I posed here, seems to point to using satin over flat. Now my question is -- will the shine lessen over time?

THANKS A TON!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Painting in progress - might need to change sheen

Yes, it will lessen somewhat, but if your siding prep isn't smooth, it will always show the imperfections. Flat would be a better choice for you over the long run. Or have better prep done before the final coat goes on. That would be the best solution.

o

I live in the historic district of my small city and walk around almost every day. As you can imagine, there are lots of imperfections in wood that is 100+ years old, but if the paint is solid and not peeling or missing, you don't pay much attention to the imperfections. You are noticing them now, but when the job is done, they aren't going to stand out as much as they do now. Just my opinion.

o

Graywings - you're right!!! The job is nearing completion and we couldn't be happier with the new colors. That alone causes me to look less at the sheen/imperfections. It is such an improvement over what was there when we bought the house last summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here