Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on painting wrought iron furniture?

Posted by randita (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 12:54

I have a wrought iron bench that hasn't been painted in about 10 years and needs a fresh coat of paint. I didn't do the original painting, so need advice on the best procedure.

The paint has faded but is not peeling. It's presently a deep blue but I want to change that to black. Should I prime it?

I don't have a good place to spray it, so need to use a brush.

It has a lot of open work and I'm worried about paint dripping through and the droplets drying.

Do I turn it upside down and paint the bottom first? Paint in sections?

Thanks for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on painting wrought iron furniture?

Sorry...but it needs to be sprayed!

Make a little "Paint-booth" by using hanging light plastic sheets. Use a breathing-mask too!!
Cut-out a couple side windows, and use something like cardboard for a "floor".

Hose-off dirt, etc. with a good blast of water, after a good cleaning with some soapy solution.
* Feather-sand any objectionable rust/other edges.
* Get a couple sanding sponges in about 100-grit, and evenly scuff-sand the wear areas...seat, back, and armrests.
* Remove all this dust, rinse again & let dry!!
* I'd consider HANGING the piece from a garage rafter!! You'll need help here of course! Then, make your "booth" around this...
* If it's heavier, try to hang it near a side-wall.
* This way, painting it all is a snap!!
* I'd do 2 or 3 lighter/med. coats to eliminate runs. Plus...this way it dries faster & more evenly!!

Buy some good spray-paint....maybe 3 to 4 cans.
Use at least a Satin sheen. Slight preference to S/Gloss or Gloss.
Get a good "Spray-grip" handle too!

NOW you'll get great results/durability!

Faron

o
RE: Advice on painting wrought iron furniture?

Sounds easy once it's all set up, but setting up will be tricky. Don't have rafters in the garage - the ceiling is finished. Hmmm. Maybe I can rig some ladders up with two by fours in the high rungs and hang it from those. Have to figure out how to make the plastic tent.

Thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here