Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
figuring out the math....help

Posted by hayley1999_99 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 12:54

okay I want to take my 12X13 sitting room (5 doorways, 1 double wide window, 1 elongated window, + 1 fireplace with wide chimney) and do a gradiation of color.

If I take 1 gallon of paint and want to figure out how much per 4 paint cans (you can buy them empty) how do I figure this out...

The bottom will be 100% creamy yellow.
The second layer will be 75% yellow 25% white mixture. Third layer 50% yellow 50% white mixture.
Fourth layer at the top 25% yellow 75% white mixture.

So if a gallon has 128oz how do I figure the math for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: figuring out the math....help

I guess I should explain I'm doing 4 rows of color. The bottom being the most creamy yellow and working on lighter as I go up.

o

For the yellow, to divide 128 ounces of paint into four buckets, add up the percentages: 100 + 75 + 50 + 25 to get 250 and divide that by the amount of paint, 128 oz. and you get 0.5 oz as your multiplier. So multiple 0.5 by the percentage in each can:

Going from bottom to top in yellow:
1. 100 x .5 = 50 oz
2. 75 x .5 = 37.5 oz
3. 50 x .5 = 25 oz
4. 25 x .5 = 12.5 oz

Going from bottom to top in white, fill each can to 50 oz:
1. zero white paint
2. 12.5 oz
3. 25 oz
4. 37.5 oz

o

thank you, I wonder why it doesn't add up to 128oz. When I add it, it comes to 125oz.

o

When I divided 128 by 250, I rounded the number to 0.5 oz. You can redo the math with more precision and properly allot the extra 3 ounces of yellow paint to the four buckets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here