Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caulk or wood filler for for hardware screw holes in cabinets

Posted by tuesday_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 12:48

Not sure whether to post here or on woodworking, so here goes:

I have old birch plywood cabinets that I want to paint soon. They originally had the old copper colored curved hardware handles placed at an angle. I replaced them several years ago and because of the original holes, I had to angle the replacements.

I will be painting my cabinets and will probably use a single ORB knob on the doors and cup style on the drawers. I am going to end up with two holes per door to be filled before painting. SHould I use caulk or wood filler?? I am thinking it would be best to use the wood filler because of the potential "shrinking" of caulk.

Which would you folks recommend??

Tuesday

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caulk or wood filler for for hardware screw holes in cabinets

Wood filler for sure. Caulk is not meant to be used for filling any sized hole. It is meant for gaps only. Not only does it shrink, but it will also remain soft forever.

o

What about that Groov caulk?
It says the properties of both silicone & latex, plus it's paintable.

I'm referring to the shrinking part, not the soft part.

I am about to caulk some cabinets...

Thanks,
Christine

o

For HOLE-filling....NO caulking of ANY type!!!
....for ANY reason on Cabinets.

As PG said, it's ONLY for linear gaps.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here