Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Which primer would be better for painting honey oak cabinet?

janesylvia
10 years ago

I am still sanding the cabinet doors, drawers, and frames, so many cabinet doors. Some were sanded to raw wood because of the worn surface, and some were slightly sanded especially the cabinet back and big panel on the side and under the breakfast bar.

Which primer would be better to be used?
1) Zinsser Primer Plus
2) SW PreRite ProBlock latex primer (Can this be painted on raw wood?)
3) SW PreRite Classic primer
4) Zinsser smart primer.

Thank you very much.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Zinsser Bullseye 123 would do the job just fine and be less expensive than all the ones you listed

• Michael
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that the raw wood sections will have a raised grain caused by latex primers. Just simply sand it down with 320 grit paper.

I'd choose BM Fresh Start for the job.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

quote "I'd choose BM Fresh Start for the job."

If I did not have to drive 40 miles, I would also :-)

• tbo123
    10 years ago

I like Bins.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for all your help.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brushworks, thank you very much for your information.

I finished sanding with 80 grit sander. Do I need to sand again with 150 grit and 220 grit before applying the primer? Does BM Fresh Start seal and bond well? I am afraid varnish is not 100% clear in some nooks and crannies. Is Ben Moore oil based enamel undercoater a good primer and easy to apply? It helps produce a very smooth surface. I never used oil based paint. Really appreciate your help.

• Michael
    10 years ago

Yes...you must sand it smooth. Progressive sanding will create the smooth finish. 80 grit will most likely leave a rough finish that will transfer through the paint film. Finish with 180 grit prior to primer.

Fresh Start will seal and bond to any clean, dull surface.

I wouldn't opt for alkyd primer. Not needed.

If you want ultra smooth, allow primer to dry for 24 hours (or until primer will dust when sanded) and lightly sand with 320 grit.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brushworks, thank you very much for your information, very helpful.

I am now sanding with 150 grit. I'll use BM Advance simply white for final paint. I just noticed BM now has Advance Primer. How is it compared with BM Fresh Start Primer?

Thank you very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Advance primer

• Michael
    10 years ago

The Advance Primer takes forever to dry and will not sand well until it's thoroughly dry.

Fresh Start dries fast and is ready to coat in one hour. Advance recoat is 8 hours.

The Advance primer will not perform any better than the Fresh Start and Fresh Start is approved as a primer for Advance Alkyd Waterborne.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brushworks, thank you so much for your help.