Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best primer over joint compound

Posted by nap101 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 12:12

I have 2 rooms that were made smooth using joint compound. They are sanded and am about to vacuum and prepare for priming.

Have done extensive googling to figure out the best primer to use on these walls (with a roller, not sprayed) and the variation in recommendations is overwhelming.

So the top answers:
1. zinsser gardz
2. any quality primer will do e.g. go to the benjamin moore store and ask the guy at the counter (although some know more than others).
3. you have to use a pvc primer.

what would you recommend?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best primer over joint compound

1) good
2 better( it will be pigmented, so easier to see what's up), I would ask for Fresh Start
3 NO, no, no

o

Great. Thanks.
I have some fresh start at home already.

o

Most of the joint compound manufacturers will tell you "a quality, high-solids primer," or your option 2. Fresh Start will work great, as does the Natura primer if you prefer a zero-VOC option.

o

Why not the Gardz? I've read (J. Pauhl, coatings techie) it's preferable because it actually soaks in, totally bonded, versus laying on top. Having 40 year old paint coming off the wallboard over here, Gardz sounds like a more sound option to me.

Does the Fresh Start penetrate and why do you prefer it?

Tape test on traditional primers:

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, May 3, 13 at 0:03

o

Went to my local BM store.
They recommended zinsser smart prime. They said it's every bit as good as fresh start. Plus it's on sale right now.

o

(J. Pauhl, coatings techie)

don't believe everything you read
this is a whole different situation, they are priming over jc
Gardz is a great product to do what it is intended to do but it is not a miracle cure for all

smart prime will work just as well as fresh start

o

I use Murco high solids primer at $38 for 5 gallons but any drywall primer will work. Home depot sells a drywall primer by kilz pro-x maybe in drywall area. more expensive primers like fresh start work but compound soaks up a lot so the cheaper stuff is more economical. drywall primer adheres great to compound and paper, but it wont seal stains or stick to everything like zinzer cover stain or other primers of that type. Gardz iis for repairs, torn paper after wallpaper removal etc.

o

Forgot it was all jc.

o

quote" but any drywall primer will work. "
not true

quote" a lot so the cheaper stuff is more economical."
not in the long run

quote" drywall primer adheres great to compound "
again, not true

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here