Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kphwildcat

You are my last hope!

kphwildcat
10 years ago

Hi all! This is my first post and maybe my last. If I don't figure this paint thing out soon my husband is going to kill me! lol

Let me try to "paint' the picture for you...So we have a semi open one level home. You walk through the entryway into the kitchen. There is a half wall with a built in desk and the pantry that separates kitchen from living room. You still have walkways around it on both sides. Off to the right is an opening for an octagonal shaped dining room that also opens into the living room. So basically everything is connected.

When we moved in 7 years ago we just left the colors that were here (yellow in LR and DR and peach in the kitchen). The colors were a little bright for me but they were a muted shade so not too bad. I decided to paint the DR a bright blue last year since it is actually my kids play room. I think it was Summer Sky by Behr or Valspar. Well then I got a wild hair to start changing things this past month and started with living room. I wanted to neutralize those yellow walls and after numerous samples and two re-paints we now have Oatbran by Valspar. It is neutral but maybe too neutral for this large space with vaulted ceilings and lots of windows. I am not in love with it but did not want to tell my husband that, Again I got a wild hair Saturday to get rid of the peach and was going to go blue and beachy in there..big mistake. So Sunday my husband and I primed all day. Now I have primed walls and no idea what direction to go in to make everything flow. I do realize that I like warmer colors and after trying so hard with grays and blues that this is just meant to be a warm country house I just don't know how to get there.

I have toyed with the idea of a terracotta deep orange-red in kitchen or deep olive green. I also like golds and turquoise as accent colors. I will try to post an example soon. Cabinets are antique white and floors are oak.I just don't know what direction to go in at this point so you are my last hope! Any suggestions on colors that flow well? It does need to be a mid-tone as we have wrap around windows and get lots of light. Please help me!!

Comments (2)