Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fade resistant exterior paint?

Posted by tammab (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 12:05

Is there a fade resistant exterior paint on the market? I have a 100+ yr old home with wood siding. The East and South sides of the house gets full sun exposure which leaves them several shades lighter than the opposite sides. I am using Behr primer and paints so I guess I need to step up the quality.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fade resistant exterior paint?

Fade resistance depends mainly on your chosen color...LITERALLY!

Earth/mineral-based colorants fade the least (Blacks, Red-Oxides, Yellow-Oxides, Browns & Umbers).

Artificially created colorants (Reds, Magentas, brigther Yellows, etc.) fade the most in bright sun.
* A Red door/trim that's in the shade a lot, obviously, won't fade that much.
* A Red door in full sun will look "pink" relatively fast...

High-ends paints, like C2 Exterior, FPE, a couple high-end BM & SW lines have better colorants.
* C2 for instance, uses 2 RED colorants...HR=High-strength Red; and RL=Red low.
* Also two Yellows, two Blues, & two Blacks.
* Only a ~couple companies have TWO high-strength colorant versions. These type of colorants are pretty color-stable outside. They should be...you could feed a family of 3 at a restaraunt for what a Qt. of C2 High-strength Red costs!
* FPE uses colorant PASTES for most of their series. VERY high-Q stuff there!

Faron

o

Also, oil based paints fade much quicker than latex or acrylic paints.

o

If you pick a slightly greyed medium to light shade, it's less likely to look faded because it's not intense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here