Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting a pine floor

Posted by charlieny (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 10:58

I have a 150 year old house with the original random-width 5/4" tongue and groove pine floors. Shortly I will be re-sanding and painting them. What is the best type / brand of floor paint and/or topcoat to use these days that will hold up well to foot traffic and normal wear? Thanks, Charlie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting a pine floor

Are you SURE you want to paint them?!

Faron

o

Yes. I've had to do quite a bit of patching and re-nailing, so there are a lot of nail holes that will be filled. Any sort of clear finish will expose all of the repairs. The floors were originally painted anyway.

o

"Are you SURE you want to paint them?!"

"The floors were originally painted anyway."

faron, our former house, a Victorian built around 1870, had "good" pine on the first two floors and painted pine on the third floor. That was the way it was intended to be right from the get-go. Yes, like yours, charlieny, all tongue-in-groove, and random width. But as I said, that was only for the third floor. In Victorians, important rooms had the good wood, and that wood was meant to be stained. Are you sure you can't find fill to match the floor color?

o
Your original question / RE: Painting a pine floor

I had to repaint the third-floor floors after all the former owners' carpet was taken up. I recall using Benjamin Moore floor paint, but that was because (1) it was such a well-advertised brand and (2) there was a dealer only several minutes' drive away. I would not use that brand again, because the sheen faded so quickly.

o

That's a neat home/history lesson!

I never grew up around such historic homes, so I'm unaware of their various "customs"! In my area here in E. ND, homes are WWI at the oldest.

For the floor paint itself...
Any good brand will lose sheen. Some sooner than others....but they all will.
From a "technical" standpoint- the glossier the better.

Let it harden-off for a few days. "Tread lightly" for a couple weeks...in socks! Wait literally A MONTH or so b4 heavier items go in.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here