Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavchev

Painting a pine floor

charlieny
13 years ago

I have a 150 year old house with the original random-width 5/4" tongue and groove pine floors. Shortly I will be re-sanding and painting them. What is the best type / brand of floor paint and/or topcoat to use these days that will hold up well to foot traffic and normal wear? Thanks, Charlie

Comments (5)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Are you SURE you want to paint them?!

Faron

• charlieny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes. I've had to do quite a bit of patching and re-nailing, so there are a lot of nail holes that will be filled. Any sort of clear finish will expose all of the repairs. The floors were originally painted anyway.

• lynxe
    13 years ago

"Are you SURE you want to paint them?!"

"The floors were originally painted anyway."

faron, our former house, a Victorian built around 1870, had "good" pine on the first two floors and painted pine on the third floor. That was the way it was intended to be right from the get-go. Yes, like yours, charlieny, all tongue-in-groove, and random width. But as I said, that was only for the third floor. In Victorians, important rooms had the good wood, and that wood was meant to be stained. Are you sure you can't find fill to match the floor color?

• lynxe
    13 years ago

I had to repaint the third-floor floors after all the former owners' carpet was taken up. I recall using Benjamin Moore floor paint, but that was because (1) it was such a well-advertised brand and (2) there was a dealer only several minutes' drive away. I would not use that brand again, because the sheen faded so quickly.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

That's a neat home/history lesson!

I never grew up around such historic homes, so I'm unaware of their various "customs"! In my area here in E. ND, homes are WWI at the oldest.

For the floor paint itself...
    Any good brand will lose sheen. Some sooner than others....but they all will.
    From a "technical" standpoint- the glossier the better.

Let it harden-off for a few days. "Tread lightly" for a couple weeks...in socks! Wait literally A MONTH or so b4 heavier items go in.

Faron

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus