Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happygardener23

Removing paint from weather stripping?

happygardener23
10 years ago

Two days ago I had a painter come in and do some painting of the exterior of my home, including painting my front door white (previously painted a rust color). Unfortunately, in addition to painting the door he also painted the "weather stripping" material around the perimeter of the door frame, where the door contacts the frame. Because he painted both surfaces, they now stick together whenever we close the door, even though we provided ample dry time before closing. Additionally, when we forcibly pull the door open, the paint gets pulled off of the door in the areas of contact, revealing the rust-colored paint beneath and generally looking awful. The paint also pulls off the weather stripping and sticks to the door.

I contacted the painter and he basically said oops and that he painted the weather stripping because it had some of the rust-colored paint on it and looked unsightly (I'm not sure that I recall that, and it doesn't look that way underneath as the paint is pulling away and sticking to the door, but I guess I'll have to take his word). He said he hoped that once it dried it wouldn't be a problem but obviously he was wrong. He said that we can try to remove the paint from the stripping or replace the stripping and he would then come back and sand/touch up the door.

The stripping is old (about 30 years) and in good condition and I think it will be difficult to replace (the painter said he's never seen stripping like it). I'm thinking that my best option is to try to carefully remove the paint from the stripping, but I'm not sure what to use that won't damage the stripping material or the painted areas around it.

I'm hoping to put my house on the market within the next 4-6 weeks and have a project list as long as my arm. I had actually hired a painter (woo hoo) to help and now I'm left with another project on my list as a result (boo!) If anyone has suggestions I'd really appreciate hearing them.

*trying to attach photos of the weather stripping-I'm pulling it forward to show how it "accordions"; the door with paint loss, and the door with paint transfer. Hope it works.

ETA: The weather stripping photo shows the area with the most "unstuck" paint. The majority of the weather stripping is still completely paint-covered.

This post was edited by happygardener23 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 11:05

Comments (9)

• happygardener23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other photo

• happygardener23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

final photo

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    10 years ago

oh, that's awful. The painter should either come remove the paint from it and repaint the door, or replace the weatherstripping free and repaint the door. It's HIS MISTAKE. It also doesn't even look like he sanded/primed the door before putting on the new color. Once you get the paint off, or replace the weather stripping and repaint the door, don't close the door for a full 24 hours. Then, before you do, dust the weather stripping with cornstarch (if it will adhere a dusting), or a thin coat of silicone lubricant, so it wont stick to the paint. You could also try lining the door seal with wax paper if you need the door shut sooner rather than later. In fact, I'd close it with eax paper for a full week, it just looks like that rubber seal is going to "grab" paint, especially since the door wasn't sanded and primered. That looks like basic refrigerator door seal, it shouldn't be impossible to replace, but might not be easy to find in a roll, as most fridges use pre-made-to-size gaskets... but that sure looks like refrigerator seal to me. If you REALLY want to try to clean this yourself and not replace it, I'd try just using a flannel cloth in very very hot water with dishsoap in it, and just rub rub rub, if it's a latex paint and that's a rubber/vinyl seal, that should work. If it's an enamel, I think it's just trash, hopeless, anything that would dissolve the paint will probably melt the rubber/vinyl. Perhaps the best solution is to convince the painter to come REMOVE THE WEATHERSTRIPPING, and scrape/sand/prime/paint the door frame and door again, then tack on new weatherstripping over the fresh paint. He probably can't mess up painting a flat door frame too badly. Unless it's a different color on the other side of the weatherstripping... in that case, just do it yourself and write bad reviews for that painter.

• loliluv
    5 years ago
    I had the same exact problem by my own mistake, I tried hot soapy water with a rough towel and it came off with a little scrubbing. This took about 15 min... Thankyou for the advice
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

DON'T use any silicone or silicone containing products on the weatherstrip. Paint won't stick to anything with silicone on it.

Finding the same weatherstripping will probably be very difficult. Try scrubbing the paint off; sooner, the better, before the paint fully cures.

• Mike Rhoades
    3 years ago

Well 1st of all always always always remove the weather stripping and keep it only to cut and fit new weather stripping that the customer pays for new! Also why in the world would you waste your time cleaning or doing anything except throwing the old weather stripping away! Especially if it's 30 plus years old! I would inspect the weather stripping after removing it for painting! After inspection if there's anything torn or ripped replace if in good shape reuse! If you have a door threshold that is outdated where the black part of weather stripping goes doesn't go into

the Grove! Then you might have a contractor install a Grooved piece a trim it will act as a doorframe ready for weatherstripping to be installed! Also never ever glue or nail weather stripping in place like the last door and door frame that I just spent forever trying to fix because I pulled the weather stripping apart! So I agree painter messed up didn't communicate what was needed to get the job done properly! This is the kinda stuff that should be discussed before anything is started! If your unsure of any of the steps or procedures hopefully you have someone in your family knows about painting or construction that you trust that could help explain this kinda stuff to you!

• Mike Rhoades
    3 years ago

Don't nail in weather stripping!

• Mike Rhoades
    3 years ago

Btw not all painters are idiots! 😃