Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint selection for exterior aluminum clad windows

Posted by davefr (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 10:46

Hi,
I have some Kolbe Kolbe aluminum clad/wood core casement windows that had the factory bronze finish over the aluminum cladding. Over the years this finish has faded and weathered.

I want to select a paint that:
1. Can be tinted to match the factory bronze color
2. Will stick to this surface without priming. (I plan to clean and lightly sand the cladding)
3. Will level out well using a sash brush.

I'm thinking of SW Satin Duration however I've used it before and it just doesn't level out that well and leaves brush marks.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a high end acrylic paint that will fit this application. I'd like as close to the smooth factory finish as possible but prefer to brush vs. spray.

Are there any paints similar to Duration that have better leveling characteristics?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint selection for exterior aluminum clad windows

You have a couple of things to consider. Why no prime? Anodized aluminum is not that easy to stick to. Suggest a bonder coat with a premium primer/bonder. Try UMA. Getting a metallic bronze topcoat for an exterior application will be tough. Best bet is to use a flow additive like Latex Xtender or Floetrol to smooth out the brush strokes with a top of the line SW or BM product. Good luck in find a bronze exterior paint in a latex.

o
RE: Paint selection for exterior aluminum clad windows

Thanks. Today at lunch I stopped at a BM dealer and he suggested a product called IronClad Latex Low Luster Metal and Wood enamel. It's self priming, flows/levels well and the best part is that it comes from the factory in a premixed dark bronze that matches my windows perfectly.

He told me that factory mixed colors are much more fade resistant then store mixed colors due to the pigments used. I think I heard that once before.

I'll report back my results but it seams like the perfect product for what I want to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here