Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Help with inkbleed on walls

weed30 St. Louis
12 years ago

I was testing different colors on my wall before deciding, and wrote the names of the different samples on the wall with a pen. (I didn't know this was a bad idea...) While testing subsequent colors, I noticed that the ink continues to bleed through - and this is after many coats of test colors.

So I bought some Zinsser Bulls Eye 1.2.3 primer in a spray can. It contains acetone, butane, propane and petroleum distillates. Now I read something that says the spots I sprayed will show up as shiny after I paint the wall. Is this true? If so, what do I do to prevent that?

I am painting with Sherwin Williams Superpaint Flat Latex.

Comments (5)

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Try and get SOME ink of with a Magic-Eraser if you have one.

Motsensbocher's has has Ink-removing product too. I haven't heard any feedback on it though....

Primers:
    * Get a gallon of Zinsser's BIN. It's a Shellac/Alcohol-based primer. Unbeatable for blocking tough stains. Noticeable "alcoholish" odor, but fades quickly. crack the windows!
    * Brush a couple hazy coats over the Ink-areas, and let dry.
    * Now...prime the whole wall with a full coat of BIN.
    * Now your new paint will look perfectly even, with no ink bleed.

>>> You'll have a 'nother issue here-
    All the paint samples on the wall will probably show as thicker areas of paint. No way you can eliminate this, except possibly feather-sanding the edges. Again...you'll probably see the "added profile" of those samples from certain angles.
    I always suggest doing samples on foam-board! You can move them around, and it doesn't affect the walls' profile.

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: BIN primer info....

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Faron,

Thanks so much for answering. I already sprayed the 123 on the spots, and I really did not want to prime the whole wall, but I will listen to the expert! Better to do it right from the beginning than have to repaint the whole room.

Another question: the vent covers in this house have been painted over many many times, and I am sure that some of the layers contain lead paint. Is there any safe way to remove the paint to get them back to bare metal? Like soaking them in something?

I would just buy new, but these are so old that I am having trouble finding the right size replacements. Cutting the holes bigger to accommodate "modern" sized vent covers is something I am trying to avoid since the walls are plaster, and cutting into them presents a whole new set of problems.

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forget about the vent question - I think I found the correct size on the net.

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, more questions! I can get aluminum or steel vent covers. I plan to paint them - which is more appropriate for painting? If it doesn't matter, which material would you choose? They are wall vents, about 1 - 1.5' below the ceiling.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Doesn't matter aluminum or steel - if you're painting I might consider getting the cheapest available.

As far as painting and writing directly on the wall... tsk, tsk, tsk. Shouldn't do that. :) Small Wall is a great solution for sampling different colors.

Small Wall has a brand new label, they sent me an advanced copy. This is an EXCLUSIVE folks - we are the very first to see the new design. (I know you feel special lol! :D)

The old label is still out and about but they had to add languages due to going international so they went for new look while they were at it. Here it is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to Buy (as of today 4/18 shows old label)