Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint manufacturors/formulations for exterior stucco

Posted by lynxe (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 9:31

We plan to have the exterior stucco walls (and wood trim & doors) painted later this spring. I'm interested in suggestions on which manufacturers' paints to consider. Ditto on formulations. Related question: is it necessary to use special paints for the stucco? Or will any high-quality exterior paint suffice?

Given the difficulty of accessing some of the second floor- and attic-height areas of the house, we want to use the "best" (ie, longest-wearing) paint we can find in our area -- or at least, an excellent, high-quality paint. Those areas are not ones we'd be comfortable doing ourselves, and, any time they'd have to be redone, they would require scaffolding and, possibly, very long extension ladders.

Thanks in advance, everyone, for your thoughts & ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint manufacturors/formulations for exterior stucco

Man....I'm glad we've got steel-siding!!!
Kinda boring...yes...but almost bulletproof!

Stucco has to be repaired correctly/filled with same material ideally. Sometimes cracks have to be enlarged/undercut to "fix" them properly!

Stucco paints are more "Elastomeric" than regular paints. This means the binder-resin has more flexibility for natural-material siding.

Faron

o
RE: Paint manufacturors/formulations for exterior stucco

I'm in CA, where we have lots of stucco and Dun Edwards is very popular here. We did an addition and our GC will be using DE elastomeric paint for the stucco. I believe the current paint on our house is also DE elastomeric paint and it look very good after 11 years. Climate is important too. Things here in CA last much longer than in the Northeast ... the freeze-thaw cycles age things pretty quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here