Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on painting formica/paneling backsplash

Posted by effiemyrtle (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 8:32

I have a backsplash that is formica - plus one wall's backsplash is part formica and part oak paneling where a desk used to be. The formica was placed over the paneling -there is no dry wall underneath. I would like to paint my backsplash - currently it is all covered with wallpaper, which I intend to remove. How should I go about painting the formica? What would be the best primer to use? Can I somehow smooth out the grooves in the paneling, so it will look more like a flat wall? Should I use spackling compound? Joint putty? A covering of some type? Help! There are corian backsplashes that now partially cover the formica, so it doesn't butt up against the horizontal surface.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on painting formica/paneling backsplash

RustOleum has a new product made for painting laminate countertops. Have you heard of it? As this is made for laminate it may be your best (safest) bet.

o
RE: Need advice on painting formica/paneling backsplash

I would probably just use the old tried and true methods that you would use for painting anything slick. You will want to get all the wallpaper paste off first, then sand it very well with some new medium/fine grit sanding blocks, then prime with BIN followed by two coats of a high quality acrylic paint in satin or better sheen. You can fill the joints in the panelling, but I would make sure that it is nailed on really well first. I would first coat with some EasySand 20 just to fill the bulk of the grooves, then topcoat with Plus3.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here