Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Semi Gloss Over Pearl Paint?

Posted by southerngal25 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 7:24

About a year or so ago, I painted my bathroom with BM Pearl Paint...liked the finish but not the color. So I'm repainting a different color in semi gloss. I realize if you paint semi gloss over flat, you should prime, but these are like finishes. Plus, since the last time I painted was so recent, do I have to sand the walls or can I just start painting?

Another question pertaining to this; I have a gallon of the semi gloss and also 1/2 gallon of flat paint (same color). If I mix the flat w/the semi gloss, will the paint be as durable (my thoughts are that I would end up with the pearl finish or similar). I realize I could just go purchase the pearl paint, but these are paints I already have on hand & will save some $$$. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Semi Gloss Over Pearl Paint?

Go for it!
The biggest concern is making sure the walls are clean.
A lower-sheen "Pearl" is OK to paint Glossier finishes over.

Realize however, that matching your "new" combined sheen will be impossible. Make sure you store enough of that paint for touch-ups!!!

Faron

o

I say paint it in Pearl. Walls in semi-gloss can look very "shiny" in spots where the light hits. I wouldn't mix it, I would start fresh because you will have it for years to come, the money you spend will be pennies over the time period.
It will be worth it. Be sure of the color b4 you paint. Try their personal color viewer on ben moore's site. See the colors first. You can also get a sample and paint a square and see how it looks in all lighting....

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore Personal Color Viewer

o

southern says". I realize if you paint semi gloss over flat, you should prime"

Why?No need to prime here if the walls are clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here