Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barrel tile roof w black streaks

Posted by loves2read (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 7:01

We bought house in FL between Sarasota and Naples about a yr ago.
Doing some exterior remodeling and taking up driveway to replace w/pavers there and walk and front porch...
House has fairly new (7yrs or so) barrel tile roof in pink (not red or Saltillo) with gray/black streaks painted on
When we took tile in to contractor's office to check colors and order, the roof made impact on choice more than we anticipated
Red/brown/yellow combos just didn't work----and I was hoping to repaint house in future a yellow tone ...but tile is too,pink

Any comments on repainting roof?
People have done it---our daughter and SIL are having someone do theirs after patching and sealing their older white tile roof....
Just not sure if we want to pony up the extra money and not sure about durability
Brick homes can be painted and be fairly durable if done w/right paint and prep...
Anyone have good points--bad points seem pretty self-evident

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barrel tile roof w black streaks

Are you sure that the grey/black streaks are paint? Could this be algae and mold?

o
RE: Barrel tile roof w black streaks

Yes--I am sure--
someone from the ARC came by to check our driveway project (replacing broken concrete w/pavers) and I showed him the extra tiles which are obviously painted
He took one of the tiles to show another HOA member in charges of things like enforcing the "clean roof" provision so they wouldn't hassle us in the future...
The guy we had wash the roof didn't want to do it because it was basically a waste of time/money since the paint streaks wouldn't be coming off...

We found pavers to go with the roof so looks like we will be keeping what we have vs having it painted to more conventional color...
our daughter and SIL though are in process of having their older tile roof caulked/sealed and painted in a darker brown color...
just wondered if anyone had any experience with a painted tile roof...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here