Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stain over New Stain on Siding

Posted by GreenDog194 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 5:38

We had our clear cedar siding pre-stained at the lumber yard. The only brand they use is Cabots. We received samples of several colors. They gave us two for each color -- one on heart wood and one on lighter wood. The differences were like night an day. We picked a darker color of their semi-transparent stain -- "Bark". It arrived looking like the light sample. The folks did a good job. We'd like to darken the stain. We like the semi-transparent because we like to see the variation of the wood show through.

Shortly after the siding is up, can we put on another coat of the same color stain to deepen the color?

Alternatively, can we put on a darker color -- say semi-transparent "black"?

Would we need to strip the siding before applying any additional coats?

(I guess I should be really happy that at least the stain color did not come out too dark from its first coat of stain!)

Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stain over New Stain on Siding

Your biggest concern in my opinion is too soon recoating over VOC compliant product, which is probably what is currently on there. You might try a small sample application somewhere to see if it results in any sheen other than flat, which stain normally is. If there is any sheen let it weather more before recoating. If the wood absorbs the new coat, have at it but be careful not to apply too much. Follow the label directions as close as you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here