Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocky08_gw

Best way to use Gardz(vinyl wallpaper glue left on RAW drywall)!!

rocky08
14 years ago

I have removed the vinyl wallpaper in my bathroom. It was put on raw drywall and feel rough to the touch. Some areas look a little rougher, but it is hard to tell as it is gray. After a lot of research, I am thinking I need to use the Gardz surface sealer. My question is do I need to try to sand first, the apply the Gardz? Apply it first then see if it needs sanding? What do you apply it with? Help please!!!!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

You can do either or preferably both. I usually just knock off the really bad stuff with some 60 or 80 grit, apply the Gardz with a "micro fiber" roller cover, sand again with 100 grit, Gardz again and move on.

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Yeah, I would do all your sanding prior to apply anything. Applying anything to a rough surface just makes it harder to sand smooth later on.

• rocky08
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I sanded away last night and got the walls smooth. It was actually pretty easy. My question is, do I still need to use the Guardz or would another (less expensive) primer do the job? I have a kitchen and hallway that I have to strip also and am not sure if it will come off as easily and if I should save the Guardz for that?

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

I don't remember Gardz being that expensive. You want to use the Gardz in case there is residual wallpaper glue on the wall. The Gardz will neutralize that glue so that it does not cause your paint to crackle off the paint later (paint does not stick to glue). A normal every day primer will not work for this purpose.

• PRO
    13 years ago

glue
    A strong liquid adhesive obtained by boiling collagenous animal parts such as bones, hides, and hooves into hard gelatin and then adding water.

paste would be a better term for what is left over from stripping 95% of paper

just sayin

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Main Entry: paste
    Part of Speech: noun, verb
    Definition: glue, adhesive
    Synonyms: cement, fasten, fix, gum, mucilage, patch, plaster, spit, stick, stickum

Mucilage?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Mucilage? Sounds like it should be a 'good-for-you' fiber drink. :-)

mu·ci·lage
    â â[myoo-suh-lij]
    Ânoun

1. any of various, usually liquid, preparations of gum, glue, or the like, used as an adhesive.

• PRO
    13 years ago

you know what I mean

• sheryl8185
    13 years ago

I just used Gardz last night to start the repair process in the bathroom I just painstakingly stripped wallpaper off unprepared dryway (what a nightmare - I am still cursing whoever did this!). I sanded it down pretty well, but there were still little chunks of glue that I could not get off. Anyway, the gardz cost $30 a gallon, and my local store did not carry it in quarts. I used very little as it is quite thin. It did an amazing job of "sealing" that drywall and I feel alot better about moving forward with this! Some of that pesky glue actually loosened while I was applying the gardz and I scrapped it off as I went. This morning, I have a fairly smooth (well, excepted where the drywall is torn and we have to skim coat) wall and it feels like a nice consistent surface sealed from any residual glue etc.

The can says to sand, apply gardz, do the skim coat, sand and then reapply gardz. I was going to use a normal white tint primer for the second application - over the skimcoat as i think that is the advice I read on this forum. Do I need to apply the gardz over the skimcoat like the can says?

thanks for the recommendations, this seems to be a great product!

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Yes, you can use a normal primer after the patching and skimcoating is done.