Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using Gardz. over paste??

Posted by datura-07 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 23:45

I have spent five days removing wallpaper from my guest bedroom. I have scrubbed, steamed, used the green scrubbie, very hot water but I still have paste on the wall. It looks like rubber cement. It doesn't even scrape off.

History: put wallpaper on and it started to come down. Called paint store and decorator said she would order more. Then she even came out and helped me repaper the room. That was twenty years ago so I do not remember what type of paste we used. I'm wondering if she brought a different paste than I bought for the first time. Did the two react and is that what is causing my headache???

I just finished a bathroom (I'm sure we used the same paste) and I just wiped the little paste off that was left. Did another bedroom two years ago. It was from the same store, but that paper itself was a terrible job - not much paste left.

I'm having rotator cuff surgery next Monday and have to finish it this weekend or it will stay this way for months.

Can I just apply Gardz and not worry about the paste on the wall???

Appreciate any help you can give me. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using Gardz. over paste??

Maybe the paste stained the wall and what you see isn't leftover paste - just its footprint. If there's nothing to scrape off, if it's smooth, if it's as clean as you think you can possibly get it - then my guess is yeah it's time for GARDZ.

o

funcolors,
thanks for the fast reply.

It is paste, you can see it from the side when there is light put on it. It doesn't scrape off but when I put the steamer on it, it softens up and kind of balls up (like rubber cement) when I use the green scrubbie on it. The scrubbie was caked with stringy stuff.

When I used the steamer to get the paper layer off, I did my best to scrape but nothing would come off. It's very frustrating.

I just don't have any more time to spend steaming and washing down the walls.

o

Is there any area of it that is currently dry? You could try sanding it off with sandpaper.

o

Thank's for the reply grayings. I did try sanding it but it caked up the paper. Yesterday we had a knockdown finish applied. Today we paint an oil primer on it and tomorrow is the regular paint job.

o

It could also be sizing. I know it sounds weird but when people used wallpaper sizing on drywall before hanging the paper, when you try to strip the paper with mass amounts of moisture and scraping you can start to remove the sizing layer. The sizing usually balls up and it very difficult to remove completely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here