Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistihayes

Fair eval of paint colors

mistihayes
15 years ago

I went to SW's & bought samples today. I have painted about a 2x2 Ft area SW Ramie. I'm getting Anew Gray & Blonde on Wendesday. These are my end choices.

How much of an area do you need to paint before you like it? Does an entire wall need to be painted twice to get the real color down? The Ramie seems a little dark but it's being put next to white. I'm not sure if that changes how the color will be upstairs. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Get the ACTUAL paint in a Qt.
    Apply a couple coats (in your chosen sheen) to some foamboard, and let dry a day.

Now, you've got a REAL paint sample to move around, and view at different times of day. Use a few loops of painters'-tape to hold it to wall.

It's best not to have samples painted on the actual wall, since this is, in essence, another coat of paint that can show-through (relief-wise) when final painting is done.

These sample areas can cause sheen variations in subsequent coats if they're not primed over.

Faron

• jockewing
    15 years ago

I am using Ramie. It isn't too dark for me. It took me forever to find this color. I don't have any pics unfortunately. I love the slightly green undertone to the color.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

"How much of an area do you need to paint before you like it?"
    That one made me smile. :D I know what you mean tho.

I think people differ when it comes to previewing color. Some people are better at morphing color from small sample into volume in their head. Other people need to paint out entire walls. Donald Kaufman suggests at least 5 ft. of color AND put as much of the contents back as possible in order to properly preview color.

Worse thing you can do is a bunch of patches on the wall. Current wall color does influence how the new color(s) show, no doubt about that. What matters is if one has the capacity to see *around* that factor -- edit out the old and superimpose the new in the environment.

Faron is so right about the *relief* of color samplings. You really do need to be aware of what and how you paint anything on the walls -- it can absolutely matter to how your final finish comes out.

I agree about the quarts too. Color sample pots are wonderous fun things, but if super uber color accuracy is on the line, a quart of the real deal is 'bout as close as you can get.

There's many things in paint world that I think are broken -- no surprise to most who know me :D -- the shape of how we sample is on *the list*. Color chips and samples in the shapes of squares and rectangles aren't the right answer. Circles are more agreeable to how our eyeballs and vision system works.

• mistihayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jockewing, You're the reason 1/2 my bath wall is now painted in Ramie. My DH loves it. I also did 50% Blonde & I'm liking that too & can't make up my mind. Got the paint on the wall & the choice in the air. Thank you for your help & will be glad when your trim is done. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. Also, is the cashmere a type of sheen that you used?

Faron, Where were you yesterday when I was applying samples on my wall? I had foam board from a cake decorating class I could have used. Good to know for the future. Will I have to do a double coat of primer over my different samples on the wall? Thanks for your good advice.

Funcolors, Paint is overwhelming. I've looked at so many chips. My DH says he prefers Ramie because he's a male & me leaning torward the blonde because I'm female. I'm not sure of his analysis, but he might be right. Lots of factors I suppose. I'm glad he's easygoing. And I did the "Worse thing you can do". I'm glad I have the info now though instead of noticing it after my painting project is finished. Thank you!

• randita
    15 years ago

Against white, colors look darker than you perceive them once they are on a whole wall. I read somewhere that when you paint an entire room, the paint color appears the same as you thought the color one shade lighter on the same strip would look. I totally agree with that.

Ramie is a very nice shade.

Cashmere is a paint line by Sherwin Williams. I love the Cashmere Low Luster. The finish looks and feels like silk to me. The SW Duration Matte is also nice. The finish of that is like velvet.

• jockewing
    15 years ago

Misti, I am honored that you used my suggestion! T think Ramie is more interesting than Blond. Blond is too yellow-gold and heavy to my mind. I think Ramie is more versatile and elegant. I don't know, maybe a gold is what you're going for--I am personally tired of that gold/red/sage "Tuscan" look that has been so popular since about 2002.

• mistihayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got the Cashmere medium luster. Thank you!