Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
airstreamingypsy

Awful Paint Smell

Hunter Hampton
13 years ago

Hi All,

I joined this site because every time I Google for anything home related I end up here

Here's what happened.

I am having a new kitchen installed, so I decided to repaint the dining room.

The dining room was paint over wallpaper and has been that way for many years with no problems. I thought it would be a good idea to prime the walls so I primed with Valspar latex primer. Then I painted with a premium Valspar latex paint. That was 10 days ago. The smell is intolerable, but its not a paint smell its almost an acrid smell. It seems to be off gassing or something, it almost knocks me over when I walk into the house.

I decided to do a test to see if it was the paint or the primer and it seems to be neither. I primed a piece of sheet rock, then when it dried I painted half of it with the same paint. No smell, other than the normal paint smell.

I'm about to tear the sheet rock off the walls, and go down to the studs.....

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I've painted many houses, many times and have never experienced anything like this.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

I joined this site because every time I Google for anything home related I end up here

That's because the tribe here on Garden Web is awesomely talented and smart. :)

Regarding your smelly paint - I think you need to contact Valspar. Almost knocking you over with odor when you walk in the room sounds little more serious than some "off-gassing".

Here's the info:

Here is a link that might be useful: Contact Valspar

• BettysJean
    13 years ago

I too have used the Velspar brilliant metallic paint... in my bathroom. I only noticed a faint "different" smell as the pain was drying. Now, almost 9 months later, I have to keep the door closed. It smells.... like bad breath. I was wondering what feedback Airstremy got from contacting Velspar. I contacted Velspar, they gave me a number for Lowes....that guy told me "There have been no complaints" from my paint batch numbers. "It must be a dead mouse in the walls. Nope, I know what dead animals and decaying flesh smell like. This is the paint. The guy said he would have a local Lowes rep contact me. I am waiting. I just want to know what I need to do to get rid of the smell... prime it with Kilz...will that be enough, or do I need to take out the walls?

• sloyder
    13 years ago

kilz, or any shellac based primer should seal in the smell, it did when I moved into a smokers house.

• jennbrown_cox_net
    13 years ago

I know just what you are talking about, I have the smae problem! What helped it! PLEASE i also can not take the smell!

• earthworm
    13 years ago

I have heard good things about "Kilz".
    It is effective (cat urine).
    Downsides ?
    The "aroma" of paint and paint reactions ?
    There are people in the restoration field (smoke damage, neglect, crueity), maybe they can help.
    Lowes only sell, service is non-existent.
    And the paint manufacturer is only being irresponsible in "passing the buck".
    Threaten to sue !

• Gazelle510
    10 years ago

This site is indeed helpful. I thought I was losing my mind with the smell in my bathroom. Freshly primed and painted. It has smelled like medicine for the last two weeks. Just contacted Valspar. We'll see if they do anything

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

We'll see if they do anything

They will not

• Stefanie Alexander
    3 years ago

I am having this same issue with smell coming from a newly primed and painted wall. What did you end up doing to rid the smell?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022