Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting over Wood Paneling

Posted by ZeldaR (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 21:06

We have a wood paneled office. The paneling is very smooth to the touch. We want to paint over the paneling - it is very dark. One painter said he could use a latex primer on the paneling, which we would prefer, but two others have said an oil primer is necessary. Who is right? Thanks for any insights!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting over Wood Paneling

We had several rooms in old dark paneling and painted them all white. They came out beautiful. We used all latex, primer and paint. The best tip; is to really prep the paneling, wash and sand before applying the primer.

o

I would use BIN. A latex primer might be okay, but BIN would stick the best. The problem with some panelling is that sanding it doesn't do much to dull the surface...it still remains shiny. Nothing sticks better to a slick surface like BIN.

o

Warning, this is not painting advice:

Is this a home office or commercial, big or small room? Recently I noticed some dark paneling that had been done-over by stretching some deeply-textured light fabric over it from floor to ceiling. It was done in very wide strips leaving similarly-width panel in between. I thought it looked pretty nice. It is a big room and I don't know how well it might scale to a small space.

o

I've helped with remodeling houses and what was done for dark stained wood was the following: Clean the wood with Tri-Sodium phosphate (TSP) to remove dirt, grease, and oils. It's available at places like Home Depot and sells for under 3 dollars. Just mix with water, rinse with water and let the wood dry, Lightly sand the wood and then wipe with a damp cloth. Then, apply the primer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here