Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mileaday

What color to paint the reveal?

mileaday None
15 years ago

I have three doorways that are doorless so I guess I should just call them passageways. The paint colors are different from one room to the next and I don't know how to deal with the trim colors. In my kitchen the trim will match my cabinets which are a glazed moss green. One passage will enter to a hallway with a color that is similar to the kitchen wall color but a bit lighter. The other end of the kitchen will enter into a family room area that has no paint at this time and I have no ideas other than it will have to look good with the kitchen color because you will be able to look from one to the other. Anyway, my main concern is how do I paint the reveal and the "passageway frame".I don't know what to call it and hope you understand what I mean. It would be easy if all rooms were to be the same color but they won't. Help me, please.

Comments (2)

• randita
    15 years ago

That's hard and I understand your dilemma. Often the same color trim is used to unify rooms that are different colors. But if you are painting the rooms in different shades of the same color family, that might not be needed because the room colors will already be unified.

What about just painting the kitchen frame trim green, but not the passageway frame to the other rooms and the trim in the other rooms? Maybe you could go with a soft white like SW Dover White (looks nice with green) for that.

Don't be concerned about splitting the colors. I did that between rooms I had with stained woodwork and ones where the woodwork was painted. Until I finally painted over the stained last year. You just have to find the right spot to split to colors, even if you have to do a sample and see how it looks.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

It's common for different rooms to be different colors. I follow one rule of thumb. Colors follow formal traffic flow. Flooring materials and thresholds often follow this same rule of thumb. Color and materials should *spill* from the front of the house (the path you would follow walking from the front door into each of these spaces) to the less formal back of the house.

Color harmonies from one room to the next usually take care of themselves. It often happens naturally. Odds are you would not choose a color for the dining room, for example, if you did like how it looked juxtaposed to the living room -- so naturally any juncture where the two colors meet will look just fine.

I've colored against this rule of thumb before. I call it coloring upstream lol! :D and I haven't been able to make it work. It looked off to me and those involved and I ended up having those areas repainted to follow the staid *color spills to the back* rule of thumb.

Not sure if this is the kind of color transition you were talking about or not, but hope it helped some. :D