Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with front door bubbles...

Posted by kadydid (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 18:43

When we first moved into this house we had it painted and after we changed the door color it started to bubble. So when we had it repainted again, I stripped the(super cheap builder grade wood) door and primed and painted it again with the same black outdoor paint our painted used on our shutters. It Bubbled AGAIN.

I don't know what to do? I read somewhere that I could use high heat spray paint and that would work. Bad idea?(after sanding and priming again of course)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with front door bubbles...

I'm not sure it's the paints fault. If an area is bubbling, that means the paint is not adhering in that spot. Do all layers bubble or just the topcoat? If the primer is bubbling too, then your problem is there, not with the paint on the top of the primer.

o

Is it a dark color in direct sun?

o

Since your door is Black...

Some questions first tho':

1) What exact brand/series paint was used?
2) Brand/type of primer?
3) Latex or Oil-based for either the paint or primer?
4) Any other prep steps/cleaning done?
5) If so, what exact cleaners were used?

Faron

o

I missed the black part. Black paint behind a glass storm door in the sun = bubbles

o

Yep....HEAT is probably 97% of the issue here!

>>> Think of leaning against a BLACK car that's been sitting in the sun.....OUCH!
This kinda thing can be HELL on a wood door that isn't prepped perfectly, and top-notch paints weren't used!!

What direction does this door face?

Our nearly full-glass storm door has a small 5" high separate screen-panel at the bottom. When I take out the glass panel, the screen is there for venting.

Faron

o

I have had my 105 year old wood front door in black paint since '96. I stripped it to bare wood, used oil primer and Duron's Duraclad poly enamel as the topcoat. I have recoated it four times in the ensuing years, last in 2011. It chips at the wear spots, but no peeling or anything.

It faces south and is under a porch, so the lower half gets some sun all year, and the entire door gets a bit of sun in the winter. The heat is such that the panels will feel quite warm on the inside when the sun's on the outside.

I like oil paint for extreme situations over acrylics. It's just tougher and more wear-friendly. Duraclad fades and loses gloss, but never peels or bubbles. I did a dark green front door for a customer in 2001, and recoated it last fall, not because it wore or peeled, but the sun had faded it.

Caveat: Duron's now owned by another paint co., and the formulations have changed a bit, so I can't say how the performance may have suffered.

If I had to chose a paint today, I'd go with (the very pricey) Fine Paints of Europe "Hollandlac Brilliant" which we used on a black front door in 2009, with tremendous results.
Casey

o

S.M.-

Can you post your pics of that door if ya have some?!?!?
Those FPE "Brilliants" are just jaw-dropping.

Faron

o

"Duron's now owned by another paint co.,"

Sherwin Williams

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here