Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjca

How to tell what an exterior paint is--oil?

sjerin
10 years ago

I continue to be perplexed at our painting problem that is in its 3rd iteration. Our house is mostly stucco, (NorCal) and when we moved in the paint was peeling in the back, which is the south-facing wall. About 8 years ago I had a painter do the job who came very well recommended by a good friend and her neighbors, and he told me he would treat the surface with something to make the paint stick better. I should have inquired more, because within a couple of years the peeling started again.

A year plus ago we had another paint job, this one by someone our kitchen contractor hired. Yep, peeling all over the south-facing walls after 6 months. He also did the house down the street so I checked with them as to any problem and they said they had none. The painter claims I have a stucco problem, but no one else on my street has this and the houses were built at the same time.

When I pull off a piece of the water-based paint, (Kelly Moore,) there is a light yellow-tinted surface, many with light cracks in the stucco, which I don't think is all that unusual. How do I know whether this yellow surface is the stucco itself or perhaps an oil-based paint that doesn't adhere to the newer paint? I really don't want a painter or a stucco guy to tell me as each will do his best to convince me my problem will give him the job. I don't have any personal friends who would know the answer to this.

Can anyone help me, please???? I'd be ever so appreciative!