Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuesday_2008

Painting over mildewed wooden exterior window

tuesday_2008
12 years ago

I have large double window in my DR that is covered with mildew from last summer. Note: no problems with interior.

I have NEVER seen anything like this! Late last summer, the humidity was so extremely high here in Eastern KY that the window mildewed. It is covered by a porch, and for some reason the hot, humid air seemed to just "trap" in that area if that makes sense. Temps were in the 90's for days at a time, and you could see the condensation totally covering the window. None of the other windows mildewed.

I need to repaint soon. Is there anything special I need to do before paint, i.e. special cleaning or special primer to prevent this mildew from bleeding through??

Tuesday

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

You cannot just paint over it, it needs to be removed.

• tuesday_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Any special product?? Bleach??

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Any decent exterior house-cleaning solution.
    This WINDOW area will have to be scrubbed though....

Do that WHOLE SIDE of the house though!!!!
    Don't let solution dry on home, and rinse WELL.
    DO NOT prime/paint until substrate is FULLY dried-out.
    Use/borrow a moisture-tester...it's the only way to be SURE.

Use a separate mold/mildew additive to your primer AND paint, like M-1. Call your local Hdw./Paint stores for it.
    Info-link below....

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: M-1 Mildewcide...

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

I found this @ Lowes, works great

Here is a link that might be useful: mold stat

• tuesday_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info.
    Faron, there is nothing else that needs to be scrubbed. I have brick everywhere else, and none of the other windows are mildewed. Maybe just a little "winter" grunge.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

I'm curious Tuesday-

* Is this a different type of window?
    * Is it newer than the rest?
    * How many panes of glass, etc.?
    * What material is the casing?
    * Did the other windows condense as heavily...on the outside?

To be sure, funny little "Micro-climates" exist around houses!!
    Keep an eye on this porch/window for a few years.
    Use that Mildewcide in the Primer AND the Paint!
    Make D*MN sure the casing (if wood) is below 15% moisture, preferably ~12%!!
    Do you have the possibility of installing an exterior/overhead Porch ceiling-fan?! This will REALLY help keep the air moving out there if it's kind of a "dead" air-flow area!!!

Just some thoughts!

Faron

• tuesday_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Faron, this is a window that we installed about 4 years ago replacing an old picture window (years ago was my LR; converted to DR after doing an add-on). Same brand as my other windows, wood clad inside and outside; no vinyl, double pane. They used to be Cradco; now Jeld-Wen; probably not the best windows in the world, but they all match. I had been slowly replacing all my windows - this was the last one. No problem the first 3 years. I used the same paint on all the windows also.

It was so hot and muggy that our AC was running constantly. The other windows did condense. The front of my house is surrounded by lots of evergreens - large spruce and white pines, and I think, where there is a porch roof covering this window, there was not a lot of "air-flow". An outdoor ceiling fan will probably help.

I will definitely clean as suggested and use the Mildewcide when I paint.

Tuesday

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company