Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting kitchen cabinets

Posted by Kimbah (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 17:25

Hello all!

I'm about to embark on the task of painting our 22 year old builders grade oak cabinets. I've read this site for days and the advice and tips are wonderful! I have a few questions that I need help with if possible:

1. I'm a painting novice, which paint would be best for me to work with? I've access to small BM and SW dealers, as well as big box HD and Lowes. I'm painting a dark chocolate color which seems to limit my paint choices due to the deep base needed. Would prefer to NOT use oil. Need something that will stand up to 4 young children.

2. I've seen Brushworks PDF mentioned numerous times but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have a link to it?

3. Any opinions on deglosser vs. sanding?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting kitchen cabinets

Clean, clean, sand, clean,
apply oil based bonding primer( from a REAL paint store)
apply 2 coats of 100% acrylic latex( again from a REAL paint store)
I personally use Ben Moore ,Satin Impervo Water borne but their Aura is great also.
Go to the BM dealer and ask you're questions and buy you supplies, you'll be fine.

o

BM and SW are definitely easier to use than the big box, but make sure you get their best paint. I have a friend that swears by SW.

Sand for sure, it's a much better method than deglosser, plus 22 year old cabs will need it.

Good luck!!

o

This one ?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.squidoo.com/paintingcabinets

o

Thank you everyone!

Forboystoo - Not sure if that's the one but it's great!

o

That's the one.

o

Read the squidoo painting cabinets, have 2 questions

Why the caution against tsp as a cleaner?
If the previous surface is painted and not peeling, can one just clean and sand, or is a primer required?

o

lucille- If tsp isn't properly rinsed off, the residue can cause adhesion problems. Safer to stick with jasco no-rinse tsp substitute or savrogran powdered dirtex no-rinse cleaner. How old is the paint you're covering? If it's in good condition you'll probably be fine, but I know Faron has recommended priming over older paint for best results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here