Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Frustrations

Posted by caseykees (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 17:13

I have got to be the worst painter on the planet...EVER.

Trying to paint kitchen cabinets. Primed with Zinsser 1 2 3, paint with BM Satin Impervo. Doing the drawer fronts. Tried a brush, and they look terrible. Tried a high density foam roller, they look terrible. UGH.....

:) feel better now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Frustrations

oil or waterborne?

o

waterbourne

o

I don't really "get" Impervo myself. Everyone here on GW likes to rave about it.

I haven't painted much in like 10 years and really don't understand what happened to paint in that timeframe (voc rules).

Recently I have undertaken a paint job. I've tried Impervo, Advance, Behr. Advance flows out pretty good and dries hard (after a long time) but concerned about yellowing. Behr is OK too. The Behr is still sticky after 4 days though. Haven't really got into Improve in depth. Just some quick test panels but it was like painting with pancake batter. Don't know if Floetrol would help much. Maybe at like 50/50 or something.

I think what ever product you choose, you have to learn it. Figure out by trial and error what works best. Thin coats, thick coats, dilution, floetrol (don't use floetrol with Advance).
roller, which roller? brush, which brush? etc etc etc.
Lots of test panels and keep notes.

Don't know if there's any useful info in there for you. Just some thoughts.

o

Maybe at like 50/50 or something.

no way you should or need to cut it that much

to the op, I don't know what to tell you except, do as posted above and experiment some

o

I've not yet seen latex enamel that wasn't really hard to apply, didn't look like crap, and made a decent hard finish that actually withstood some abuse.

The BM oil Impervo with a dose of Penetrol to improve brushability works quite nicely for me.

o

Being that this thread is on Gardenweb, The OP is probably painting his old oak kitchen cabs white.
I believe oil Impervo will yellow the color significantly. No??

o

If you are painting bright white any oil-based paint will yellow over time, the only time I ever notice the change is when I repaint (but I most definitely do not have an artistic color sensitivity). In pretty much any color I find the change to be imperceptible. "Significance" of the change will vary a lot from person to person.

o

I'm not a guy and I don't have "oak" cabinets. I'm not sure what they are made of, some type of plywood. Like from the 1970's. The cabinet frames are already painted white and the doors are light blue, all painted badly by the previous owner. The door and drawer fronts are so bad, the paint peels right off. I am sanding them down to bare wood to start over and priming and painting. I am using Waterbourne, not Oil. And I'm painting them a cream because my boyfriend is convinced that I won't like the dark grey blue I originally picked out.

I don't understand the snarkiness in these forums sometimes. I hardly post here and have done nothing to warrant it towards me. I am sorry if my paint choice or color aren't up to your standards.

I'm going to sand the drawer front back to bare wood again and start over. Thankfully I'm not in any rush.

Kathy

o

FWIW, I seem to be having more trouble with the Zinsser than the paint. I may try a new can of primer. I have one that I bought a couple months ago. TBH, I have no idea when I opened the one I am using. Guess it's worth a shot.
Kathy

o

123 should work fine( unless it is bad)
give Fresh Start a try maybe?

and as I said there should be no need to cut the paint with anything, especially impervo water borne, which btw makes a fine finish for cabenits

o

this is the drawer front. I'm not sure what type of wood it is.

o

The new can of 1 2 3 seems to be working much better. I put the first coat on last night, and just did the 2nd coat this morning. Seems to be leveling a lot better. Perhaps the other can was just too old. Will sand and put 1st topcoat on tonight when I get home from work.

Feeling excited about my project again! :)

Kathy

o

Last time I used 123, it seemed not to be very sand-able.
Maybe that was an old batch too.

I love Bins as a primer. dries fast and sands real nice.
Plus it's not water based so there are none of those issues.

If everything is flat like that drawer front, why not just foam roll and litely whisk with dryish brush?

I wasn't being snarky.. :)

o

it's funny that you mention it not being very sand-able. I had a heck of a time sanding it back down to bare wood again. I did not have any trouble lightly sanding between primer and topcoat though.

I just painted my first topcoat. It went on pretty well. There are brushmarks, but they aren't too bad. I can live with it now, whereas before I could not. I also switched colors. Going to the paint store is now becoming like going to the garden store. (I'm not allowed to go to the garden store! LOL) I switched to white dove from floral white. The floral white was giving me too much of a yellow vibe. I'm making my white kitchen a white kitchen. Totally not my intent.

I was going to try the roll on, brush out on the doors since they are bigger. I have problems with bigger surfaces.

Kathy

o

Casey - I am glad it is going better for you. You CAN DO this! I painted an oak vanity - it looked terrible with the primer, did not look great with the first coat of paint, looked awesome after the second coat. I used SW Pro-classic waterborne, but have heard that Impervo is about the same so you will be fine. Both of those paints seem to level out well. I brushed mine on because of arches, etc. Rolling and brushing out sounds like a good idea for your flat doors.

Your cabinets are birch - pretty wood. Hope you come back and show us your finished product, because I too have flat birch plywood cabinets from the early 70's that I plan to paint next year (retirement job -yeah).

Hang in there! You are going to do this right and are going to love your "new" cabinets.

o

This is the cabinet I finished! I love the way it turned out!! I think it will look awesome with a new countertop! It isn't perfect but It's a start. I purchased a different brush today to see if maybe that is my problem.

o

Casey, Give Bins a try. Point being that pretty much however you put it on (roller is best), It sands great. You sand everything flat and smooth. No brush or roller marks cause they're all sanded out. If you sand thru to wood, Just do another coat. I didn't have that experience with 123. With 123, you have brush and roller marks to deal with as well as the paint brush and roller marks.

Looks good though. Glad your happy about it.
Curious. what color white is that if any?

o

White Dove. I didn't want to go white, but everything else I tried was too yellow. LOL But it is not bright white like it is right now.

o

Wow! That cabinet looks great. White Dove is one of my favorite whites - that is what I used on a house full of doors and trim as well as my vanity.

What do you have in mind for counters?? I'm nosey :).

Tuesday

o

Tuesday, a laminate like Winter Carnival I think.

I am going to add trim to my cabinet doors, if I can ever find my brad nailer. LOL

o

Cakeykees: I did the same thing three years ago.. on my own. What a royal pain!

I recently bought a Critter sprayer and will be doing another coat on the doors. Just want to freshen them up, but have no desire to roll and use paint brush... ever again!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen DIY

o

your kitchen is beautiful! I am envious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here