Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19779803

Paint inlaid linoleum?

User
11 years ago

My original plan was to have the old inlaid ground off the cement and paint or possibly use the garage epoxy on the breezeway floor. It's heavy use with mud and dirt tracked in & big dog toe nails. Before I have the inlaid ground off I thought I might want to experiment with paint so I can have a dry run with color choices. If I would experiment with paint I may just as well use something that might last a year. Has anyone painted inlaid linoleum? What did you use? Did it work? Did you top coat it with poly?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

not a good idea,imo

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What part is not a good idea? The floor has to be replaced.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

painting linoleum is not a good idea, you CAN but it is very difficult to get paint to stick to it

• geoffrey_b
    11 years ago

I wouldn't do it - time and money to prep, time and money to apply the paint, only to rip it up the next year? Something tells me that it might just stay that way and never get redone.

You will have to strip any wax off the linoleum, and sand it lightly.

The real problem is that a painted floor is very slippery when wet. You will need to add some pumice so it is non-skid.

Rustoleum makes expoy paint for floors - these are not designer colors, more like 'sand', 'gray', etc. I did my garage floor with Rustoleum epoxy 15 years ago - and it still looks great - but be sure to add the pumice.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This old inlaid is from the mid 1980's. I haven't waxed it in 9 years. Doesn't someone make a blue garage floor paint? Not my first choice but ahead of gray and tan. I really want to see a color on that floor before I spend hundreds of dollars making it permenant. I didn't want to do the tile like used to be in schools because of the many seams. I'm afraid water will get under some and then I'll be fixing again. Otherwise I have no objection to that tile; I even checked out the Habitat for Humanity store today. They have some I like- blue, and it's dirt cheap. I might sit down with the graph paper and figure out a design...For the price I could like blue a lot.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

If it were my house and I wasn't looking for a forever solution, I would try porch paint. Ben Moore Porch and Patio can be mixed in lots of colors. It's latex paint.

It's about $50 a gallon. I used it on wood and concrete porches last year and it is holding up fine so far.

In some areas you can get the alkyd version called Porch and Floor.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, graywings, that is what I wanted to know. I didn't know they could mix colors. I was thinking I might want a bright yellow or a scarlet red but that's a dramatic color change from what I have in the rest of the house and I sure didn't want to invest in a floor that color and within a year wish I would have toned it down a few hundred shades. I don't mind the light colors. At least when it's dirty you can see it right away and take care of it.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

One thing about that paint. The instructions on the can tell you to use a primer. But the store clerk told me to instead water down some of the paint and use it as the primer. The experts here say the same thing.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can do that! I don't remember the exact sq. ft. coverage on the label, just knew it was more than I needed so surely I could thin some and still have enough to do a finish coat.

• susie53_gw
    11 years ago

A lady that used to live nearby did this and it turned out quite lovely..held up really well, too.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

susie53, do you know if she put a coat of poly over the top?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!