Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom418

Primer necessary? Lifespan of primer?

tom418
12 years ago

I have just fished some electrical cables using those flexible drill bits. Some of my drywall openings for electrical boxes have exceeded the 2 by 4 and 4 by 4 size, and resulted in my having to drywall patch with compound.

The compound came out great. But, I need to paint and want to know:

1) Lifespan of primer? I have some 15 year old primer. Would it still be good (kept in a tight can).

2)In one room, I need to match Glidden 6400 white (no longer available). I'd rather use Benjamin Moore. Should I have the color computer matched and custom mixed? How expensive is that? Note: I plan to change colors next year to Navajo White (moore's), and for now I only need to touch up around the outlet boxes. Could I buy the neares Ben Moore color, especially if I'm changing colors in that room?

3)Paintguy: I saw the advice you gave someone else. where you said it might be better to "prime" with an additional coat, instead of using a primer. It would be cheaper for me too, as I can use the sample-size paint for that too. I would have asked this question in the other thread, but didn't want to "hijack" that one.

Thank you all.

Comments (2)