Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamacotti_gw

Is this possible?

mamacotti
12 years ago

Hi all!

Our new home has a very small (10x10) kitchen full of very well-maintained, 28 yr old golden oak cabinets. I really can't justify replacing them unless we decide to change the whole footprint of the kitchen, and I don't want to go through the whole stripping, sanding, and refinishing process either! I'd like to do this myself...but I'm afraid I'd never finish that long, tedious, and messy chore.

My ideas are....

1) Get a distressed look somehow, and have a darker stain. A guy at SW suggested using a Gel Stain, wiping it into any crevices, then if I still wanted it darker I could allow brush strokes to show in places.

-OR-

2) Painting a solid color with an oil-based enamel. Maybe even dry-brushing over to give it a different look?

I don't mind wood grain showing, and I do love the distressed look.

We will have granite countertops and SS appliances.

So, can this be done as simply as I'm hoping?

Which option would give best results?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts and suggestion!

Comments (6)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

You might get more responses if you post this in the Home Decorating forum along with a photo of the room.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Yep....try Home-Dec. if you haven't.

The "distressed" look....
    * I often ask our customers that mention it, if they plan on being in their home a while!
    * It CAN be a BIG detriment to re-sale efforts.
    * Some distressed looks aren't sealed very well, and can look BAD years down the road.
    * It kinda goes in cycles (like clothing!), like many "Faux-finishing" looks.
    * "F/F" just DIED here a couple years ago, along with many areas. Nobody does it anymore....

Not trying' to be a "Negative Nellie", but just give careful thought to a project like that in an area that can "make or break" a home sale....

Faron

• mamacotti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, very good point, Faron. I guess I've looked at too many habersham pics!

My main objective is to get a darker color on the cabs. Now I'm thinking I can wash them down with...something called TSP?...and use gel stain to darken.

If my understanding is correct, I would basically just be painting a transparent layer or two over the old finish. But would I need to put a clear finish over it to protect it? How durable is it?

So how is gel stain different from a glaze? And should I use this TSP?

• jenva2010
    12 years ago

You should post over in the Kitchens forum -- there are several people over there that have successfully used gel stain on their kitchen cabinets.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Use POWDERED Dirtex instead.

Usually needs no rinsing.
    Most TSP's need to rinsed 2 or 3 times....

Yep! Nothin' wrong with Gel-stains!
    They aren't a very good "wear-layer" though.
    When they've cured/dried, some type of clear finish should be applied.

Faron

• mamacotti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, all of you!

I will check out the other forums, too. And I'll let you know how it turns out!